He name-calls. He basically disparaged a United States congresswoman and basically said that she would do anything for a contribution. Trump later claimed he didn't use those specific words, but Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), who was also in attendance, seemed to confirm in his own statement Friday.
I have called him what I know him to be for a long time.
"Following comments by the president, I said my piece to him directly yesterday", Graham said. "I've always believed America is an idea, not defined by its people but by its ideals".
"No longer can Members of Congress, particularly Republicans, stand with such a risky, disturbed, and deceitful man who is a threat to everything for which America, the greatest democracy on earth, stands", Waters said.
"I don't trust him, I don't appreciate him and I wouldn't waste my time sitting in that house listening to what he has to say", Waters responded.
Waters is the third Democratic lawmaker to announce they won't attend Trump's address, which is scheduled for later this month. "He does not deserve my attention".
Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D-OR) said he will skip Trump's address and work in his home state instead.
Blumenauer said he will instead listen "to Oregonians about what they think about the State of the Union" in his home state. "Congress has a constitutional responsibility to impeach him without delay".
"Donald Trump is an embarrassment and a national disgrace", she added.
In a tweet on Friday, Trump said the language he used was "tough", but maintained the vulgar comments attributed to him were "not the language used".
Trump is scheduled to deliver the annual address January 30.
- Graphic Packaging (GPK) Earning Somewhat Positive News Coverage, Study Shows
- Research Ratings: Illinois Tool Works Inc. (ITW), SunPower Corporation (SPWR)
- VAR 'finger in ear' signal to be reviewed before cup replays
- Test our resolve if you desire, Khawaja Asif to Indian army chief
- Stock'S Earning Overview Energous Corporation (WATT)
- Lazard Ltd (LAZ) Analysts See $0.93 EPS
- Gruden adds ex-Packers offensive coordinator to staff
- Warren Buffett says bitcoin 'definitely will come to a bad ending'
- Sippican Capital Advisors Boosts Position in Walt Disney Co (NYSE:DIS)
- May tells bankers they are a priority for Brexit amid job warnings