Election filings show that Manning, 30, submitted her candidacy to the Federal Election Commission on Thursday as a Democrat.
Manning would challenge Democrat Ben Cardin, who will face re-election in November. She is challenging Maryland Sen.
Produced by Laura Poitras (RISK, Citizenfour) with filmmaker Tim Travers Hawkins, XY Chelsea follows Manning as she is released from Fort Leavenworth, an all-male maximum-security prison in Kansas, for disclosing classified materials to WikiLeaks. In 2010, as an Army intelligence analyst, Manning stole hundreds of thousands of classified government cables and provided them to WikiLeaks. Before leaving the White House, President Barack Obama commuted all but four months of Manning's remaining prison term.
"Like far too many people in prison, particularly transgender women, Chelsea Manning has had to survive unthinkable violence throughout the seven years of her incarceration", Chase Strangio, staff attorney with the ACLU, said in a statement following her release from prison.
- DDR Corp. (DDR), PPL Corporation (PPL)
- Health Department Tells Women To Get Cervical Cancer Screenings
- Another nail in Virgin America's coffin as Alaska Airlines gets FAA signoff
- Texans sign coach Bill O'Brien to a four-year extension
- Purchases 17710 Shares of Sociedad Quimica y Minera de Chile (SQM)
- Watford 2-2 Southampton
- Rep. John Lewis Says Racism is in Trump's 'Makeup'
- How Have Institutional Investors Been Trading Bank of America Corporation (BAC)?
- Tutor Perini (NYSE:TPC) Earning Somewhat Favorable News Coverage, Analysis Finds
- Addison Reed Agrees To Deal With Minnesota Twins