Asked if he had spoken with Kim since inauguration, Trump avoided giving a clear answer, saying, "I don't want to comment on it". "I have relationships with people". The offer of diplomacy by President Moon with his counterpart in North Korea came only days after Pyongyang opened a communication line through the 38th parallel on a border village on its side which allowed diplomats from both countries to discuss for the first time in two years. He clarified he was not saying he has spoken to him or not, but just simply did not want to comment on it.
The Kremlin strongman said Thursday that Kim Jong Un was "shrewd and mature" and had won the latest standoff with the West over his nuclear and missile program. "I think you people are surprised".
Earlier on Wednesday, the president said he was willing to consider diplomatic talks with North Korea. In his New Year's address last week, Kim said he has a "nuclear button" that could fire weapons anywhere in the United States, and Trump responded that he has a much bigger and more powerful "nuclear button".
Trump has called Kim "Rocket Man" on a "suicide mission".
"You'll see that a lot with me", the president said about his inflammatory tweets, "and then all of the sudden somebody's my best friend".
Putin's praise follows President Trump boasting that he was responsible for the diplomatic developments.
The U.S. and South Korea recently postponed military exercises around the Korean Peninsula until after the 2018 Winter Olympics in the South. Trump, who acknowledged that Pyongyang may be attempting to separate Seoul and Washington, encouraged North Korea to join the games.
Previous year was marked by terse back and forth between Trump and North Korea, both parties threatening to destroy each other as Pyongyang showcased its rapidly advancing missile program through a number of ballistic missile tests.
Kim warned he had a nuclear button on his desk and the "entire mainland of the USA is withing the range of our nuclear weapons".
- Hina Khan speaks bad about Shilpa Shinde and disappoints yet again
- Spartak Moscow under fire for "chocolate" tweet
- Multi-planet System found through crowdsourcing
- Apollo Global Management (APO) Upgraded to "Overweight" at Morgan Stanley
- Legendary college football broadcaster Keith Jackson dies at 89
- Linscomb & Williams Inc. Trims Position in Exxon Mobil Co. (XOM)
- Manchester United stars celebrate during Dubai training
- Conocophillips Stock as Institutional Investors Exit
- At least 17 killed in California mudslides
- Craig Tiley says Maria Sharapova deserving of draw ceremony invite