"I am deeply saddened by the death of Pierce County Deputy Daniel A. McCartney, 34, and direct that Washington State and United States flags at all state agency facilities be lowered to half-staff in his memory on Wednesday, January 17, 2018", Inslee declared on Thursday.
Frank William Pawul, 32, and Brenda Kaye Troyer, 52, now face charges of murder in the first degree and kidnapping in the first degree.
Bail is set at $5 million for Pawul and $2 million for Troyer.
Prosecutors suspect Troyer of being the getaway driver.
Charging documents say McCartney was dispatched to break-in with residents inside a mobile home southeast of Tacoma Sunday night. Shortly after arriving, he made a "shots fired" call.
Deputies responding to the call found McCartney with a fatal gunshot wound.
A candlelight vigil is scheduled tonight for Daniel McCartney. The man was booked into the Pierce County Jail for his warrants. They are continuing to develop additional leads and will continue working throughout the evening.
No one was seriously injured, the Sheriff's Office said in a series of tweets Friday morning.
In part, it said, "Losing Daniel ripped a hole in our lives.The grief that we're experiencing is nearly unbearable". His family members and dozens of law enforcement officers gathered at the hospital to say goodbye, The News Tribune newspaper reported. The deputy fired two shots into the car's rear window, according to the Sheriff's Office. The residents told deputies they were taken to the master bedroom and held at gunpoint while the intruders rifled through the house.
The department said the auto was full of "stolen property". One suspect was found dead at the scene and another is on the loose and being sought by authorities.
The department asked in a Facebook posting that the deputy's family, friends, and the department be kept in people's thoughts and prayers.
- DC's 'Shazam!' movie sets 2019 release date
- Katie Couric Finally Speaks out About Matt Lauer's Firing from 'Today'
- Supreme Court hears arguments over Ohio's voter registration law
- TransCanada (TRP) Hits New 12-Month Low at $59.12
- Steve Bannon is out at Breitbart
- Labour steps up investigation into MP Ivan Lewis
- Canadian Natural Resource (CNQ) Earning Somewhat Positive News Coverage, Report Finds
- El-Zakzaky's Health Remains Stable, DSS Insists
- US Supreme Court to Review Bid to Collect Internet Sales Tax
- Flotek Industries Sees Unusually Large Options Volume (NYSE:FTK)