Participants include: Senator Bob Dole, President Donald Trump, Vice President Mike Pence, House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-WI), Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY), Senate Democratic Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY), House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA), Lynn Jenkins (R-KS), Pat Roberts (R-KS). Trump, meanwhile, was mired in a pitched budget battle that threatened to end in a government shutdown at week's end.
Trump said that Dole's service in war and in Congress embodied "loyalty, integrity, hard work, faith and family".
The former Republican presidential, and vice presidential, nominee also joked that numerous kind words being said about him during the event were "probably not true, but they were nice".
"Bob Dole always stood by what is just and what is right".
Dole was a member of the House of Representatives from Kansas from 1961 until 1969 when he was elected to the Senate. He was the Republican nominee for president in 1996, but lost to Bill Clinton.
"Mr. Speaker, I yield the balance of my time to this distinguished gentlewoman from North Carolina", Dole said, referencing his wife Elizabeth of more than 51 years.
"In hearing (Dole's) story they will truly learn what it means to be a great American". John Warner of Virginia, exiting a Senate elevator on his way to the Rotunda Wednesday. Bob Dole with the nation's highest civilian honor to recognize his decades of service as a soldier, lawmaker and statesman.
Dole has been a lifelong advocate for disabled Americans, highlighted by the key role he played in advancing the Americans With Disabilities Act in 1990. "For all of the meaning of the medal he's getting today, the Purple Heart is the one he really cherishes".
By then, he had begun collecting more of the nation's highest honors.
"I want to thank all of those that have said such kind words about me". "They probably weren't true, but they were nice".
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. interested in being a minority owner of Panthers
- Exxon Mobil (NYSE:XOM) Receives Daily News Sentiment Rating of 0.24
- PMQs: Corbyn accuses Theresa May of 'negligence' in heated Carillion row
- 9 charged in hazing death of FSU student Andrew Coffey, police say
- Colin Kaepernick Reveals Plans For Final $100000 Of $1M Pledge
- Manchester City defender Nicolas Otamendi extends contract until 2022
- Most expensive cars in the world: review of 2018
- Puerto Rico school celebrates the return of electricity after 112 days
- Poland may be stripped of European Union voting rights
- Israel, US team up to block United Nations vote on Jerusalem