The animated picture book will aim to teach kids between the ages of 5 and 7 an empowering lesson about self-love and beauty, according to The New York Times. The title character is a five-year-old girl in Kenya with darker skin than her family members and classmates. With a bit of wisdom from her mother, Sulwe takes a fanciful journey through the night's sky that helps her embrace the deep hue of her skin.
"This is a story for little ones, but no matter the age I hope it serves as an inspiration for everyone to walk with joy in their own skin".
Through the years, the Oscar-winning Kenyan-Mexican actress has been very vocal about how she struggled with her own self-image while growing up.
"As I have made clear so often in the past with every fiber of my being, I embrace my natural heritage and despite having grown up thinking light skin and straight, silky hair were the standards of beauty, I now know that my dark skin and kinky, coily hair are handsome too", she wrote on Instagram in response to the changed image. "Coming January 2019!" Lupita Nyong'o announced on social media.
"I remember a time when I too felt un-beautiful".
"I got teased and taunted about my night-shaded skin and my one prayer to God, the miracle worker, was that I would wake up lighter skinned", saidNyong'o. It is painful to see that the preference for light skin prevails.
She went on to talk about how she was driven to speak out after she received a letter from a young girl, who said Nyong'o's success had stopped her from lightening her skin. Lupita said her mom's constant insistence that she was attractive exactly as she was helped her accept black is handsome.
- Confidence in Plains All American (NYSE:PAA) Shares by Barclays Fall
- IBM Struggled With the Tax Man in the 4th Quarter
- Trump vulgarity debate has become an 's-show,' senator says
- Ag Coalition Formed to Support NAFTA
- Focused Investors LLC Has $123.55 Million Holdings in Microsoft Co. (MSFT)
- Palo Alto Networks, Inc. (PANW), NextEra Energy, Inc. (NEE) — Traders Focused Stocks
- Motorola Solutions, Inc. (MSI)
- Nokia 6 (2018) and Nokia 7 are getting Android 8.0 Oreo updates
- "Black Lightning" Premiere Fares Well, Matches "The Flash" In Demo
- Revenue Approximations Analysis: Whiting Petroleum Corporation (WLL), American Express Company (AXP)