According to a new report from The Information (via Reuters), Google is developing a subscription-based game streaming service codenamed "Yeti" that will work on Google Chromecast or a Google-made console.
The Information reports today that Google's Yeti game streaming service is being developed. It also represents the latest effort by Google to establish a presence in the home, following its recent launch of the Google Home voice-activated speaker and success with the Chromecast for streaming video.
The Asus Nexus Player (with controller, pictured) was the closest we've ever gotten to a Google gaming device.
Google wants to get Yeti up and running in a way that will allow users to stream games straight to their Chromecast or Android TV box. The Information notes that "an early version" of this service was created to work over a Chromecast, which is interesting since it's unclear how a game controller would ever hook up to a Chromecast.
Google has already had discussions with some game developers but now, it is unclear whether or not the company has managed to secure any games for the service.
This new service has reportedly been in development for two years, and it's so far along that Google reportedly considered launching it for the Holiday 2017 season.
It's also claimed that Google has been in discussions with top gaming developers but it's unclear right now if any of them will develop a game specifically for its service or only make their existing games available.
While everything seems a bit tentative, Google recently hired former PlayStation and Xbox exec Phil Harrison, so there may some truth behind the report.
- Charlotte Hornets acquiring a Knicks big man
- Taiwan Hit By Strong Earthquake; Few Dead, Ton Missing, Hundreds Injured
- Prudential (PRU) Given a GBX 2186 Price Target by Citigroup Analysts
- Gracia revels in 'unforgettable' win over Chelsea
- Forbes values the Bulls at $2.6 billion
- Sensex, Nifty tumbles over 3.6 pc after global sell-off
- Province releases plans for legalized marijuana
- Top of the list shares in todays market: WW Grainger, Inc. (GWW)
- Trade Signal Alert For Core US Treasury Bond ETF Ishares (GOVT) Shares
- Tom Hardy Reveals First Poster For Sony's 'Venom' Movie