The organisers of the PyeongChang Winter Olympics said Saturday its servers were hacked by an unidentified attacker during the opening ceremony the previous day. We are now investigating the cause of the issue.
"Maintaining secure operations is our objective", said International Olympic Committee (IOC) spokesman Mark Adams. As such, if you wanted to know who the dignitaries shaking hands in the stands were, or what a particular scene meant to symbolize, your guess was as good as anyone else's.
It was a historic moment, marking the first walking together in 11 years of the two countries' athletes under the same flag at the opening ceremony of an worldwide sports event.
U.S. Vice President Mike Pence, who has returned to Washington after attending the opening of the Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, said the United States, South Korea and Japan were in complete agreement on isolating North Korea over its nuclear weapons programme.
"We apologize for the inconvenience caused".
Some shots needed no narration, like the excitement on the faces of Korean athletes marching in with a unified team of athletes from the north and south. "We decided with the International Olympic Committee we are not going to reveal the source (of the attack)", he told reporters.
Kim Yong Nam, the North's nominal head of state who was also at Saturday's meeting, said "even unexpected difficulties and ordeals could be surely overcome and the future of reunification brought earlier when having a firm will and taking courage and determination to usher in a new heyday of inter-Korean relations".
Organizing committee spokeswoman Nancy Park said the defense ministry and a cybersecurity team were investigating the outage that occurred Friday night. "Of course, no evidence will be presented to the world".
Some local media reported system problems, including the Games website and some television sets, were due to a cyberattack but Sung said it was still too early to determine whether hackers had attempted to damage them. Stakeholders of the Olympics have been wary of the threat from hacking and some sponsors have taken out insurance to protect themselves from a cyber attack.
- FG charges Melaye for 'framing' Bello's aide over assassination attempt
- Conway Defends Trump Response To Abuse Allegations Against Ex-Aide
- NKorea Political Princess Heading Home after Whirlwind Visit
- Deutsche Bank Reiterates "Sell" Rating for Chipotle Mexican Grill (NYSE:CMG)
- Eleven Turkish troops die, chopper down in deadliest day of Kurdish offensive
- IShares US Energy (IYE) Declines 0.11% for Feb 8
- Father Of Nigeria's Chief Of Army Staff Buratai Is Dead
- Western Gas Equity Partners (WGP) Earns Coverage Optimism Score of 0.09
- FY2018 EPS Estimates for Progressive Corp (NYSE:PGR) Raised by Analyst
- South Korea president hosts lunch for Kim Jong Un's sister