A male correction officer at George Motchan Detention Center (GMDC) was brutally attacked in a gang assault Saturday, according to union sources.
After the initial punch, a group of about four other inmates, all of whom the New York Daily News reported are under 21 years of age, repeatedly kicked and punched the downed officer.
Though other officers responded with pepper spray and were able to end the violent outburst, the victim reportedly sustained multiple injuries. The entire incident was captured on video surveillance.
The unidentified 39-year-old officer was hospitalized in serious condition, Michael Skelly, a spokesman for the Correction Officers Benevolent Association, told the New York Post. A photo of the officer released by the union shows him in a hospital bed in a neck brace.
Espinal was allegedly heard planning the pummeling during a phone call earlier in the day, according to one jail insider.
'We are arresting anyone involved in this ruthless attack and we are working with the Bronx District Attorney's office to bring serious charges'. In 2015, De Blasio ended solitary confinement for inmates 21 and younger, and instead ordered them sent them to "Transitional Restoration Units" for counseling.
On Saturday, the unions representing jail officers slammed de Blasio and his inability to reduce violence behind bars. "Tomorrow they will get visits and shop in the commissary like everyone else".
- No Troops, Missile Defense Batteries Moved to North Korean Border — Beijing
- Here's what's in the Trump administration's $200 billion infrastructure plan
- Snowboarders Parrot and McMorris Capture Silver and Bronze at Pyeongchang Olympics
- EPS for Avon Products, Inc. (AVP) Expected At $0.06
- Fox Run Management LLC Buys New Position in ONEOK, Inc. (OKE)
- Driving Needs: 5 Car Accessories for a Better Ride
- North Korea judged victor of diplomatic gold at Olympics
- Kovack Advisors Inc. Purchases Shares of 5919 Mondelez International Inc (MDLZ)
- Actor Cathey of 'House of Cards' dies
- Tonga declares state of emergency to face looming wrath of Cyclone Gita