"On wit alone, he could double any man over and leave him thinking", Simon wrote.
More details about Cathey's death, including the circumstances of his death, were not immediately available.
Cathey won an Outstanding Guess Actor Emmy award in 2005 for his role of restaurant owner Freddy Hayes in "House of Cards". Tiny mostly cover sports and community events in Los angeles and California. "Our sympathy goes to his family", the statement said.
Cathey's exact cause of death has yet to be determined, but he was reported to have been battling lung cancer before his passing, according to The Jasmine Brand. The creator of the drama series also tweeted about the actor's passing. "Everyone at Marvel Television is deeply saddened by the loss of Reg E. Cathey", the company stated.
House of Cards creator Beau Willimon wrote on Twitter.
Miles Teller, who starred alongside Cathey's Dr. Franklin Storm in the The Fantastic Four reboot, tweeted:"Reg was an incredibly kind and wonderful person with a vibrant love for the arts". Some of his most recent work involved a role in the movie adaptation of The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, in which he played Zakariyya Lacks and Marvel's Luke Cage, which was his final role.
Cathey earned three Emmy nominations for the role he played from 2013 to 2016, winning in 2015.
- 49ers linebacker Reuben Foster arrested on suspected domestic violence charges
- Fiorentina-Juventus in diretta
- Genuine Parts (NYSE:GPC) Shares Sold by Gabelli Funds LLC
- Snowboarders Parrot and McMorris Capture Silver and Bronze at Pyeongchang Olympics
- Reduces Position in Bristol-Myers Squibb Co (BMY)
- Pence did not stand for Korean delegation at Olympics opening ceremonies
- South Africa beat India in Johannesburg, stay alive in series
- SS&C Technologies (NASDAQ:SSNC) Given New $56.00 Price Target at UBS Group
- Kovack Advisors Inc. Purchases Shares of 5919 Mondelez International Inc (MDLZ)
- Defending champ Brett Rumford leads early at World Super 6 Perth