Under-pressure Chelsea manager Antonio Conte admits he is a big admirer of his potential successor Luis Enrique.
According to reports in Spain, Luis Enrique is the leading candidate to replace Conte in South West London at the end of the season.
In spite of the fact that Conte delivered the Premier League trophy to Chelsea just last season, the Blues boss is now the bookmakers' favourite to be the next top flight manager to be sacked.
"Yes, yes. I knew him".
"The day Conte leaves Chelsea, if I was Arsenal, I'd be straight on the phone", Merson told The Debate.
"I have spoken with him, and he's a really good person", Conte said. I have great admiration for Luis Enrique and he is a fantastic coach.
"He reached his targets with Barcelona, and also with Roma".
But the 47-year-old has become one of the most sought after coaches in world football during his absence from the game, with his unattached status a particular plus point for clubs looking to employ him as it doesn't mean they have to navigate the minefield of settling a compensation package with another club. While there is speculation with teams elsewhere in Europe as well (PSG, Milan, for example), MD seem quite certain that the Premier League is what's on Lucho's mind.
Conte also claims he has no hard feelings about Enrique being linked with his job, adding: 'We do this job, and our job is not difficult, but you must be open and understand the situation can change.
Paul Merson wants his former club to take advantage of the pressure Antonio Conte suddenly finds himself under.. It's the same for me.
"There are other top managers like Massimiliano Allegri at Juventus, but he might come in and it would take him a year to get used to the Premier League - like it did with Klopp". I have, usually, a great respect.
- London City Airport closed after WWII bomb found nearby
- Fox Run Management LLC Buys New Position in ONEOK, Inc. (OKE)
- Man killed in officer-involved shooting on I-89 in Bolton
- 4 charged after brutal attack on correction officer at Rikers Island
- Here's what's in the Trump administration's $200 billion infrastructure plan
- Keybank National Association Raised Its Sherwin Williams Co (SHW) Holding
- Under Analyst's Radar: Spirit Realty Capital Inc (SRC)
- Shares in Comcast Co. (CMCSA) Purchased by Aurora Investment Counsel
- U.S. stocks fall again, Wells Fargo shares sink
- Genuine Parts (NYSE:GPC) Shares Sold by Gabelli Funds LLC