The City boss came under-fire from the former Manchester United defender after only picking 17 in his squad for the game at Burnley last week.
The Spanish tactician has managed some of the best players in the world during his time at FC Barcelona and Bayern Munich.
Guardiola said he simply didn't have any more players to choose from, with a number of his first-team players out with injuries, and didn't want to call up a youth team player because they played on Friday. "Who has been playing well this season and who has worked hard?"
"He's one of the most talented players I've ever seen in my life and without the ball, he makes the kind of intensity we have".
"Forget the second team".
Pep Guardiola has offered a cheeky riposte to Gary Neville following his criticism of Manchester City. Bring a kid to travel with the team, help the kit man and put him on the bench to have the experience of being in a Premier League game.
"After that I went to the second team, but the second team were going to play a game so I felt I'm not going to call the player to go to the bench when the substitute is normally another player". Give someone a boost at the club.
Guardiola claimed Neville "should know that because he was a manager - for a short time", a patronising reference to Neville's failed four month spell in charge of Valencia, where he was sacked in March 2016.
PEP GUARDIOLA has reignited his war of words with Gary Neville by telling the pundit he will have a full bench against Leicester.
Neville appeared to take Guardiola's comments in good spirit, posting the above tweet a couple of hours after Guardiola's press conference.
But John Stones (knee) and Phil Foden (ankle) have returned to training this week and are back in contention.
- SpaceX Successfully Launches Falcon Heavy Rocket
- Asus ZenFone 5 Lite With Four Cameras Leaked Ahead of MWC 2018
- Tesco plans a chain of discount stores
- Jones lauds Brown as the 'Shilton of fullbacks'
- Gigi Hadid slams body shamers who call her too skinny
- Antonio Conte: Chelsea players have gotten used to rumours of my departure
- International Space Station could be privatised under Trump administration plans
- Peter Rabbit movie faces allergy backlash
- Rumor: Pokemon Switch Localization Will Start This Year
- Don't mention the score: North Korean media silent on 8-0 loss