Not only did her teammates rise in applause, so did skaters from other nations, and not simply because she landed the triple axel so few women even attempt.
The medals winners were the same as in 2014, except the Canadians had moved up a spot, and the Russians - the Olympic Athletes from Russia this time around - won gold.
The figure skating team event concludes Sunday after the men's and ladies' free skates and the free dance.
Sitting in third place after five of eight programs, the USA announced Adam Rippon, Mirai Nagasu and siblings Maia and Alex Shibutani will compete in the remaining free skates.
As did the team bronze medal, of course.
After the action, don't forget to check out the Olympic Ice Post-Show, featuring in-depth analysis from Kristi Yamaguchi, Charlie White and Ben Agosto. Nagasu landed the hard move about 20 seconds into the women's team free skate and racked up a personal best score of 137.53, setting the tone for the American team.
24-year-old U.S, figure skater Mirai Nagasu became the first American female to land a triple axel on Monday at the Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang.
Just like Friday's men's short program, the men's free skate was anything but memorable. Based on this performance, she could be in the mix to medal in the individual competition later in the Games.
"I'm so proud to be on this team", Rippon said on the NBC broadcast. She took first ahead of Nagasu by almost 21 points. "I went out there and I did my job". Looking for breaking news, videos, Olympic and Paralympic team bios all at your fingertips?
- Valeant Pharmaceuticals International, Inc
- Snowboarders Parrot and McMorris Capture Silver and Bronze at Pyeongchang Olympics
- Alibaba nets share of Easyhome to push 'new retail' strategy
- UK Government website offline after hack infects thousands more worldwide
- Buckeye Partners (BPL) PT Set at $55.00 by Mizuho
- London City Airport closed after WWII bomb found nearby
- Barnaby Joyce 'resisted' removing girlfriend Vikki Campion from office
- Recruiters back extension of ban on OFW deployment to Kuwait
- Under Analyst's Radar: Spirit Realty Capital Inc (SRC)
- Short Interest in Teekay Offshore Partners LP (NYSE:TOO) Declines By 33.7%