Beijing's defence ministry said the missile interception test was successful as the land-based projectile struck the target mid-course.
The larger rocket motors of the SM-3 Block IIA interceptor.
The test is defensive and does not target any country, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
A White House official disclosed that the preparation was currently in the "brainstorming" phase and that nothing is set in stone.
Nuclear-capable missiles were confirmed to have been shipped into the Kaliningrad enclave earlier this week by Lithuanian president Dalia Grybauskaite.
But much more likely, North Korea wouldn't attack the U.S. because of the U.S.'s ability to return the favor tenfold.
The test was on Monday in a location in China, but no other details were given.
Mr Onodera said: "I'm happy to have the opportunity to deepen the US understanding of Japan's tough security environment".
China's defense ministry announced Tuesday that it had successfully tested a ground-based missile defense system the day before, a development interpreted variously as a precaution against trouble on the Korean Peninsula or a pretext for increasing military spending.
Indeed, these failures are unlikely to discourage the Pentagon from continuing to develop next-generation missile defense systems.
Beijing has also rapidly expanded its military presence on man-made islands in the South China Sea, which it claims in its entirety, despite countering claims from other nations.
China has also conducted similar exercises with Russia and opposed the US deployment of the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) system in South Korea. Absent some finding that the failure was caused by a fundamental design error in the missile - which seems highly unlikely - this latest incident will not affect Raytheon's standing with the government.
On January 12, the PLA Daily published a commentary warning that "war is not far from us".
When investing geniuses David and Tom Gardner have a stock tip, it can pay to listen.
The Chinese Ministry of National Defense's Information Office went on to cite Sr.
They declared: "Right now, there's really no meat on the bones".
- Trump supports Kelly despite White House departures -aides
- Amid Olympic thaw, Pence says allies united in isolating North Korea
- Winter Weather Advisory Extended to Nine Sunday Morning
- Duke's Marvin Bagley III out with knee injury against Georgia Tech
- Riyadh Ritz-Carlton hotel reopens to guests after corruption purge nets $100bn
- NY attorney general files suit against Weinstein Co
- Sears Holdings Corp (NASDAQ:SHLD) Stock Price While Sentiment Dive
- Kim Jong Un Invites South Korea's President To North Korea
- Driving Needs: 5 Car Accessories for a Better Ride
- Government shuts down for 2nd time in 3 weeks