"As alleged in our complaint, The Weinstein Company repeatedly broke NY law by failing to protect its employees from pervasive sexual harassment, intimidation, and discrimination", Attorney General Schneiderman said.
The lawsuit claims that the company's human resources department failed to properly address complaints, and that Bob Weinstein failed to maintain a safe workplace while serving as co-owner and co-CEO. Rather than conduct any investigation in Weinstein's alleged behavior, HR alerted the mogul to any allegations made against him, the suit says.
Schneiderman seeks steep financial penalties from Weinstein, his brother Robert and the company, restitution for the victims, court oversight of the company's compliance with an eventual settlement, and a court order that would remove the constraints of the non-disclosure agreements signed by many women. The entourage was known to witnesses as Weinstein's "wing women". "One of the members of this entourage was flown from London to NY to teach HW's assistants how to dress and smell more attractive to HW".
It accuses the company's board and executives of repeatedly failing to take adequate steps to protect staff or curb Weinstein's behaviour despite multiple complaints.
A third group were were forced to facilitate Weinstein's sexual conquests, and to follow through on HW's promise of employment opportunities to women who met with Weinstein's favor.
A Weinstein attorney did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
- Bosnian Mirza Basic wins first career title
- IFP Advisors Inc Decreases Holdings in Digital Realty Trust, Inc. (DLR)
- Trump's speechwriter, Sorensen, resigns over abuse allegations
- Omarosa Returns to Celebrity Big Brother Following Asthma Attack
- Comerica Bank Boosts Holdings in Cypress Semiconductor Co. (CY)
- PM Narendra Modi meets UAE counterpart, discusses bilateral ties
- Stratos Wealth Partners LTD. Boosts Position in Cisco Systems, Inc. (NASDAQ:CSCO)
- Cleveland Cavaliers vs Boston Celtics
- Trump lashes out, casts doubt on exit of aide accused of abuse
- Use technology for development, not destruction: PM Modi in Dubai