It was contrasting fortunes for all the three Nigerian club sides competing in CAF club competitions yesterday.
Similarly, in Bamako, debutants, Mountain of Fire and Miracle FC secured an encouraging 1-1 result against Malian side, AS Real Bamako who forced them to a draw in the first leg of the CAF Champions League qualifiers.
Both teams went into the half time break level at 1-1, and despite massive pressure from the home side, the Nigerians hanged on to claim a score draw which could prove valuable in the return leg.
Playing under wet conditions at the Godswill Akpabio Stadium Uyo, Akwa United relentlessly raided the visitors' area, restricting them in their own half but missed several scoring chances as they now travel to Gambia needing to score at least two goals.
Eding Sports travelled to Nigeria without their head coach Ancient Foe Mbarga following disagreement between him and club president Saint Fabien Mvogo but still pushed Plateau United hard in the game especially in the second half.
In the CAF Confederation Cup, Muhammed Jallow and Lamin Charity scored for Banjul Hawks before Victor Mbaoma jalved the deficit as Akwa United were stunned at home 2-1.
Plateau United took the lead through defender Oghene Elijah in the 19th minute when goalkeeper Ndjomo Ntiana saved Tosin Omoleye's penalty after the later was brought down by a defender Pierre Francis.
Nojeem Akinyemi fired MFM into the lead in the 15th minute after receiving a pass from Stanley Okorom. They had a goal rightly ruled out for offside in the 82nd minute.
The second goal scorer (Charity) plays for the Gambian national team, the Scorpions.
- Jones lauds Brown as the 'Shilton of fullbacks'
- Hazard responds to Madrid speculation
- Mulvaney denies Trump offered him Kelly's job
- 'We may be on track to beat some recent records'
- Calif. Pastor Accused of Assaulting Lady Turns Himself In
- Peter Rabbit movie faces allergy backlash
- Asus ZenFone 5 Lite With Four Cameras Leaked Ahead of MWC 2018
- Boy suffers life-threatening injuries when ambulance struck by alleged drunk driver
- Rumor: Pokemon Switch Localization Will Start This Year
- Pence's Olympic trip a 'missed opportunity' for North Korea diplomacy, source says