She also gave The Post a series of emails and text messages from Sorensen in which he berated her using vulgar language.
Former Donald Trump speechwriter David Sorensen resigned from the White House after his ex-wife accused of him of a litany abuse during their short marriage.
In a statement, Sorensen denied the allegations and said he was the "victim of repeated physical violence" during the marriage.
Jessica Corbett, Sorenson's ex-wife, told The Post he "was violent and emotionally abusive during their turbulent two-and-a-half-year marriage", according to the article.
The Washington Post reported that Corbett said her ex-husband ran over her foot with a vehicle, put out a cigarette on her hand, threw her against a wall and grabbed her hair in the remote waters off the coast of Maine. Lauren LePage told the newspaper that she was aware of trouble in Sorensen and Corbett's relationship, she never witnessed domestic abuse.
White House officials said they learned of the accusations by Sorensen's wife Thursday night, before The Post contacted the White House for comment.
White House deputy press secretary Raj Shah spoke on the matter Friday, saying: "We immediately confronted the staffer, he denied the allegations and he resigned today".
Sorensen provided photos to the Washington Post that showed injuries he said she inflicted upon him during their fights, including bruises and scrapes. He said he is "pursuing legal options to address her defamation". At the time of their engagement, Corbett was working for Maine Congressman Bruce Poliquin. Previously, Corbett has worked for the Republican Party of Florida, Marco Rubio's 2009 U.S. Senate campaign, Newt Gingrich's 2012 presidential run and as a consultant for War Room Logistics, a political polling and digital communications company in Florida. His position did not require security clearance and his background check hadn't been completed by the Federal Bureau of Investigation, administration officials said. She had already been talking to the Federal Bureau of Investigation since last fall about her ex's abuse. The Post said two of Corbett's friends corroborated some of her allegations.
- Shares in Comcast Co. (CMCSA) Purchased by Aurora Investment Counsel
- Buckeye Partners (BPL) PT Set at $55.00 by Mizuho
- Defending champ Brett Rumford leads early at World Super 6 Perth
- John Stamos, Caitlin McHugh honeymoon at Disney World
- Genuine Parts (NYSE:GPC) Shares Sold by Gabelli Funds LLC
- Here's what's in the Trump administration's $200 billion infrastructure plan
- Pence did not stand for Korean delegation at Olympics opening ceremonies
- Kovack Advisors Inc. Purchases Shares of 5919 Mondelez International Inc (MDLZ)
- Reduces Position in Bristol-Myers Squibb Co (BMY)
- Snowboarders Parrot and McMorris Capture Silver and Bronze at Pyeongchang Olympics