Thousands of travelers booked on Southwest Airlines flights out of Chicago's Midway Airport had to change their plans after the airline found out that it didn't have enough de-icing fluid-for the second time this winter.
The airline has "paused" its service for the rest of the day for the "Safety of our Customers and Crews", they said.
At O'Hare, where 4.1 inches of snow had fallen on Saturday and Sunday, more than 200 flights had been canceled, according to the Chicago Department of Aviation.
The airline apologized for any inconvenience, and said affected customers should visit their website.
As of 9 p.m. Sunday, a total of 264 flights on all airlines had been canceled out of Midway and another 235 were canceled out of O'Hare. Average flight delays of more than 15 minutes were reported on Sunday afternoon.
Three days after Christmas, almost 90 Southwest flights were canceled at Midway Airport because of delays caused by the de-icing of planes, according to a statement from the airline.
The carrier ran through most of a several-day supply of glycol in one day, and couldn't access additional fluid because of a broken pump on one tank, Brandy King, a spokeswoman, said in an interview. Chicago temperatures dropped to below 20 degrees Fahrenheit Sunday during the storm. Chicago Public Schools cancelled classes as a result of the snow, and over 1300 flights were cancelled at the area's airports.
- Meeting ends between S Korean leader, N Koreans
- Esteban Loaiza, longtime Major League Baseball pitcher, arrested on felony drug-trafficking charges
- North Korean ski coach says it's an 'honor' to compete in Olympics
- Farmers & Merchants Investments Decreased Its International Business Machines (IBM) Position; Pentwater Capital
- Sonakshi Sinha has the sweetest reply for Sonam Kapoor's Twitter apology
- Sumitomo Mitsui Asset Management Company LTD Decreases Position in Raytheon (NYSE:RTN)
- Former champion swimmer accuses coach of abuse
- After highest building, world's tallest hotel opens in Dubai tomorrow
- Twenty-First Century Fox Inc (FOX) Stake Lowered by Lee Danner & Bass Inc
- How Harmful Is the iOS 9 Source Code Leak?