There are plenty of arguments in favor of a deal.
One small nugget buried in the call also confirms what many have long suspected: that the truck will most likely favor lithium ion batteries versus supercapacitors.
In the runup to this week's successful test launch of SpaceX's Falcon Heavy rocket, public attention was focused on CEO Elon Musk's plan to launch a Tesla Roadster as a test payload. And as the screen showed the auto soaring above the Earth, the webcast blasted David Bowie's "Life on Mars?"
Now, it looks like Starman isn't actually heading toward the asteroid belt at all. With the right formula, such as Google in searching, or Facebook in social networking, the results can be spectacular, even if other companies have already tried to blaze the same trail. Don't panic, indeed. With any luck, they'll be so charmed they won't destroy humanity to build an intergalactic freeway bypass.
Less than a week earlier, though, a January 31 SpaceX launch had some media speculating about the fate of a Falcon 9 booster that survived a landing in the Atlantic Ocean in one piece - an "amazing" feat, Musk tweeted.
Tesla will not confirm total truck orders to-date, but speculation swirls that number could be anywhere between just more than 1,000 to several thousand more.
"I think the lithium-ion chemistry is so good at this point that capacitors will not be needed", he says.
For about a decade, SpaceX has been a presence here, including making use of pad39A, scene of some of the crucial Apollo and space shuttle missions.
© 2018 Associated Press under contract with NewsEdge/Acquire Media. Musk splits his time between SpaceX and Tesla, with his official home in LA. Tesla's shares are also in the stratosphere, up 8 percent from the start of this year.
A UFO seen darting across the sky between the roadster and Earth.
Reserve Citizen Airmen are used to supporting milestone rocket launches, and have supported manned spaceflight launches through the years; however, they have never supported a rocket toting a vehicle. Tesla also said reservations for the auto remain "stable" despite the delays, but it didn't give a total.
And after the company reported fourth-quarter earnings last week, Musk pledged to unveil the Model Y compact SUV before the end of the year.
Not much room in there for a merger.
And then there's Moon Express, the first commercial entity to receive permission from the Federal Aviation Administration to fly out of Earth's orbit to deep space. The truth is, it's going phenomenally well. But the citizens of Earth do.
This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of Business Insider.
- Snowboarding: Anderson retains slopestyle gold in strong wind
- Winter Olympics 2018: North Korea invites South president to Pyongyang
- Diversified Trust Co Has $452000 Stake in Valero Energy Partners LP (VLP)
- Taiwan natural disaster toll rises to 14 dead
- Seoul seeks communication, lower military tension ahead of possible N.Korea summit
- Surveillance footage captures moment Russian plane crashed, killing 71
- Gaming and Leisure Properties (GLPI) PT Lowered to $31.00
- The first Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi arrives in Ramallah
- Mick Mulvaney: Trump 'absolutely not' considering replacing John Kelly
- Real Madrid: Isco exit would open way for Eden Hazard arrival