Congress managed to pass a budget deal early Friday morning after a brief government shutdown, brought to you by Kentucky Sen. Our Military will now be stronger than ever before. First time this has happened in a long time. House Speaker Paul Ryan, R-Wis., pledged on the House floor early Friday morning that he also meant to address immigration.
The legislative package assigns budget figures for the next two fiscal years but only funds the government until March 23.
Senators voted 71-28 to approve the deal, easily overcoming objections from Republican fiscal conservatives who say the bill marks a return to unchecked deficit spending. It includes spending for both domestic programmes and funding for the military that US President Donald Trump has sought. Rand Paul, refused to allow a speedy vote.
The libertarian-leaning lawmaker said GOP lawmakers who had railed against deficit spending under former President Barack Obama, a Democrat, suddenly were willing to increase spending by hundreds of billions of dollars now that a Republican is office.
Speaking on the Senate floor, Paul said USA taxpayers "are getting stuck with the bill" as spending levels beyond the amount of revenue are allowed. The appropriate increase to the debt ceiling will go into effect until March 2019.
Many Democrats support the budget deal, but were unhappy with the compromise because it doesn't tackle immigration - specifically addressing the plight of DREAMers, including the roughly 700,000 immigrants who are in the USA illegally after being brought to the country as children and who are enrolled in the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program, which is set to expire on March 5.
- Sun will be 7 % cooler by 2050 ' research
- Kim Kardashian shares her thoughts on Scott Disick and Sofia Richie's relationship
- Trump budget plan already outdated after budget deal
- Who has extra assists than Messi or Ronaldo? De Bruyne
- Mile Jedinak praised for 'immense' performance for Aston Villa
- Freestyle skiing: Canadian Kingsbury takes moguls gold
- United States drone strike kills 7 in Pakistani tribal area
- Boston police apologize for honoring white man in Black History Month tweet
- Adorable! Karan Johar shares photo of Taimur and Yash playing the piano
- Canadian men's Paralympic hockey team to be named today