The growing list of companies ending their relationships with the NRA comes in the wake of the mass shooting at a Florida high school. Major hotel companies also have eliminated affiliations with the NRA in the aftermath of previous school shootings.
The February 14 shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School has prompted demands for increased accountability from United States lawmakers and businesses, in what so far has been an unprecedented push for gun-law reform. But the backlash against the NRA reached a fever pitch Friday with the hashtag #BoycottNRA trending on Twitter and at least nine corporate brands publicly saying they are not affiliated with the group. In tweets as early as February 16, two days after the shooting, an official Twitter account for the company began telling people it "is no longer affiliated with the NRA". A cached version of the site touted the card as "the official credit card of the NRA" and noted the benefits of membership.
The Omaha bank was the first company to respond to the boycott. Activists say they want to know why these businesses won't cut ties with the NRA. "As a result, First National Bank of Omaha will not renew its contract with the National Rifle Association to issue the NRA Visa Card", spokesperson Kevin Langin said in a statement Thursday.
Three vehicle rental brands, a bank and a cybersecurity firm have cut ties with the National Rifle Association.
Tee cybersecurity firm, which owns the digital security software LifeLock, confirmed that it was ending its discount program with the NRA.
On Tuesday, the progressive site ThinkProgress published a list of companies that offer discounts to NRA members, thereby making membership in the group, which "opposes almost all gun safety legislation", more attractive. A spokesman for Chubb told Reuters that the company informed the NRA of the decision three months ago; the policy has faced criticism from gun-control groups who called it "murder insurance".
Have some thoughts to share?
- Butland howler gifts Leicester an equaliser
- Blaine schools closed due to a threat
- President Trump holds listening session with school shooting survivors
- Global Transmission Oil Pump Market 2018- TRW, Magna, Powertrain
- Armed Florida School Cop 'Never Went In' During Shooting Rampage: Sheriff
- Why the Second Amendment is irrelevant
- Never Mind, Google isn't Giving Android P a Dark Mode
- Wedding gift explodes after 5 days, kills groom, injures bride
- Vettel and Ferrari 'fired up' for 2018 after unveiling SF71H
- APC Crisis - Tinubu Gains Upper Hand