The show, which consists of a brand new panel of judges including Katy Perry, Luke Bryan and Lionel Richie, was immediately a hit with the audience, who didn't realize how much they missed the hit show until it came back on their screens.
Season two finalist and CT resident Kimberley Locke gives us a whole recap.
You may be one of the millions of fans around the country who watched as American Idol launched the careers of many singers over 15 seasons. Catie Turner from Pennsylvania sings the judges an original song called "21st Century Machine", and wins them over with her unique perspective and strong sense of self.
Things took an awkward turn, however, when Holmes responded to one of Perry's questions by calling her "ma'am". Over the years, viewership declined as judges were shuffled and winning contestants were less successful, plus competition increased from other reality TV shows such as "The Voice", "America's Got Talent" and "The X Factor".
But who I'm going with is 16-year-old Alyssa Raghu, who wowed everyone with her cover of Ariana Grande and Nathan Sykes' "Almost is Never Enough". Sent packing by the judges, Koby complains bitterly to the camera that "Katy was jealous" of her. He started playing guitar when he was 16 years old. He admits to the judges that he's never kissed a girl, and gets knocked for a loop when Perry tricks him into a kiss on the lips. But Richie said that Seacrest is still the anchor that holds the show together.
"I know, wig, I feel that already", Perry said.
But when he belted out "The Way You Look Tonight" by Frank Sinatra, the judges were amazed by the depth of his sound and the richness in his voice.
Lionel agreed with Katy that the music industry is "an identity business", so he said "no" as well. (I was thinking more along the lines of a less-polished Lisa Loeb, but sure - tomato/to-mah-to, Lionel.) And away she goes with a trio of yeses. Katy and Treavor did some major flirting, but alas, he has a girlfriend.and a golden ticket. Instead, she thought his audition was an imitation, so Katy said he needs more time to develop and it's a "no" from her. When it was Layla's solo turn, she sang "Who's Loving You" (Jackson Five version).
"You are an inspiration to us all", Richie shared.
Equally impressive is Dennis' smooth rendition of Allen Stone's "Unaware".
- United Nations mission blames Facebook for hate speech against Rohingyas
- Supreme Court refuses to allow entry of foreign law firms
- Fitbit Made a $200 Smartwatch Women Will Actually Want to Wear
- Bills to sign Panthers DT Star Lotulelei when free agency opens
- Active Volume Stock: Boston Scientific Corporation (NYSE:BSX)
- Strikes could be suspended from tomorrow following resolution to pensions row
- Trey Burton to Sign 4-Year Bears Contract Worth $32 Million
- Matt Damon and Ben Affleck's production company to introduce inclusion riders
- Dulquer to pair with Sonam Kapoor in The Zoya Factor
- China to merge regulators, create new ministries