American rapper and 90s hip hop star Craig Mack, who rose to fame with his hit single "Flava In Ya Ear" in 1994, died Monday night at the age of 46, fellow hip hop stars confirmed the news on social media.
Mack was one of the pioneer artists signed to the defunct Bad Boy Records by Puff Daddy in the early '90s and gave the label its first successful rap single with 'Flava In Ya Ear'. He was a good friend of mine.
Born in Queens in 1971, Mack left his native NY for the South and moved to SC with his family.
Toney said that Mack had been ill for some time. "He wasn't scared. He was ready", said the music producer. The album's highlight included the hit single, "Flava in Ya Ear", which went platinum and reached as high as #9 on Billboard's Hot 100 charts back in 1994.
Mack is survived by a wife and two children.
"I just got a disturbing phone call". He just reached out a couple of weeks ago for me to speak on his documentary about his life. 'Because Craig was my roadie on tour. After the success of the original, the song's remix introduced the world to The Notorious BIG, whose debut Ready To Die wound up outselling Mack's Project: Funk Da World by a significant amount.
Close friend DJ Scratch paid tribute on Instagram, and revealed they had been discussing a documentary about Mack's life.
After departing Bad Boy Records Mack went on to release a follow-up album, Operation: Get Down, in 1997.
Mack's 1994 hit single "Flava In Ya Ear" has come to be considered a hip-hop classic, and it also appeared in a recent vehicle commercial as motivational music.
- Ravens give OL Hurst 4-year contract
- Seoul preparing to discuss major issues with North Korea in April summit
- Here's why J&K Finance Minister Haseeb Drabu was sacked by Mehbooba Mufti
- Andhra Bank up 8%, recovers from Monday's fall
- Amitabh Bachchan Fallen sick in Jodhpur - Doctors Treating Him
- Slingshot malware attacks PCs through routers
- Kim Jong-un Seeks Peace Treaty in Trump Talks
- Dwyane Wade donates $200k to 'March for Our Lives'
- Baaghi 2 song Lo Safar: Tiger Shroff pines for Disha Patani
- HBO Nabs Limited Series The Undoing Starring Nicole Kidman