Federer improved to 65-5 since returning from a left knee injury previous year with his third-round victory in a rare day match.
"I was able to mix up my game nicely, make it hard for him there".
"At the same time, have fun with my game, play a variation, but for the most part try to stay on the offensive".
The 36-year old served up six aces and gave up just three points on serve in the whole match.
"I was grateful to be out on the court after surgery that quickly but at the same time just didn't feel good at all. But I recovered very quickly, and I got myself ready", he added.
He will face 25th-seed Filip Krajinovic in the third round. Federer, who is the defending champion and trying to win a record sixth title in the California desert, was on the centre stadium for the third day in a row.
"You've got to be ready for it".
Daniel will meet Argentina's Leonardo Mayer, who had been scheduled to play Japan's Kei Nishikori in the second round before the Japanese withdrew. We wait, we play, we wait again, we play again.
Federer and 10th seed Djokovic both came into the tournament seeking to become the first six-time victor of the event.
"At the Masters 1000s, when the format was different, it was the best-of-five-set finals in the finals".
"Obviously having only played a couple of matches in nine months, you are still, in a way, battling inside of your mind whether you are fit or not".
"I think that would be a mistake". The other victory came in Rotterdam.
Israeli Dudi Sela beat British 21st seed Edmund 6-4 6-4, while Luxemburg's 24th seed Giles Muller was upset by Frenchman Pierre-Hugues Herbert 6-3 7-5.
Also through to the third round are Roger Federer, who beat Federico Delbonis 6-3 7-6 (8/6) in one hour and 43 minutes, while Juan Martin Del Potro took just under 70 minutes to beat Australian Alex de Minaur 6-2 6-1.
- Here's why J&K Finance Minister Haseeb Drabu was sacked by Mehbooba Mufti
- Oreo update starts rolling out to Asus ZenFone 4 Pro
- Pac-12 women's basketball teams make NCAA Tournament
- Bamco Inc. NY Has $5.67 Million Holdings in Flexion Therapeutics Inc (FLXN)
- Hamas condemns Gaza attack targeting Palestinian Prime Minister Hamdallah
- Storm Team 11 Forecast: Cloudy with scattered flurries
- American Express (AXP) Earns "Hold" Rating from Stephens
- Flake Calls for 2020 Trump Primary Challenger
- Andhra Bank up 8%, recovers from Monday's fall
- City leaders, NCAA Tournament organizers excited to show off Wichita