Judge releases video of fatal federal courtroom shooting

Tuesday, 13 Mar, 2018

The video from 2014 shows Siale Angilau leaving the defense table, picking up a pen and rushing at a witness who was testifying.

Steve Griffin | The Salt Lake Tribune Family, friends, and supporters of Siale Angilau, who was shot and killed in the Salt Lake City federal courthouse, gather for the Justice4Siale Vigil on the courthouse plaza in Salt Lake City, Utah, Wednesday, June 11, 2014.

The judge wrote in a statement: "The video completely contradicts the plaintiffs" argument that Angilau stopped posing a danger within less than one second of launching himself over the witness stand while making a stabbing motion with a pen in his hand'.

This is the shocking moment a gang member on trial was shot dead when he launched himself onto a witness in an attempt to stab him.

He said: 'Angilau was in custody, but he essentially had escaped custodial control for those seconds during which he was executing his plan to assault the witnesses. "His attack was stopped by the shots that Jane Doe rapidly fired, in less than one and one-half seconds".

Authorities have identified the US marshal only as Jane Doe.

Faces of the judge, attorneys and jurors are blurred out and the agency declined comment about the release of the video.

An FBI investigation later found the shooting was legally justified.

The Angilau family contended the marshal used excessive force on a man armed with only a pen. He also noted that the defendant was already on the ground when the Marshall fired the final three shots, CBS News also reported.

Skyes said: "There was no need to use deadly force".

Sykes said he's glad the video was made public, but the Angilau family wants justice. A wrongful death lawsuit by Angilau's family was dismissed on the same day.

Judge Dowdell sided with Cleary's order on Friday, and it was released Monday.

According to CBS News, Angilau was one of 17 people listed in a 2010 indictment accusing Tongan Crip members of assault, conspiracy, robbery, and various weapons offenses.

They were allowed to view the video but not release it. Angilau was the last person to be tried, as previous defendants were sentenced to 10 to 30 years behind bars.

Before he died, the incident prompted US District Judge Tena Campbell, who was hearing the case, to declare a mistrial.

The media coalition including KUTV and the AP fought for several years with government attorneys to have the video released publicly, arguing that the shooting raised questions about police use of force and upholding the principle of open courts.