Ovechkin's arms flew over his head as he kissed his glove and waited to hug his teammates, a huge smile across his face, his tongue sticking out. Kuznetsov notched the secondary assist on Ovi's milestone goal.
Right wing Tom Wilson sent a centering pass toward the net, just out of Ovechkin's reach.
The Russian winger has become the 20th player to hit 600 goals, and the fourth fastest (990 games) to reach the 600 club behind Wayne Gretzky (718), Mario Lemieux (719) and Brett Hull (900). But after Ovechkin scored his 40th goal against the Toronto Maple Leafs in the Stadium Series game in Annapolis, he bluntly said, "Forty is nice, but 50 is better". "Of course you want to do more and more". The old lion and the young gun. He's held the National Hockey League lead for goals for most of the season, and this has been his best point-per-game pace for an 82-game season since 2010-11, when he was 25 years old. I was watching it. "I was in a good spot - just behind him". "I was there when he made history, so I can maybe watch that someday and show I was there on the ice".
After scoring 33 goals in 2016-17, his second-lowest total in a non-lockout-shortened season, the 32-year-old Ovechkin's resurgence made his climb to 600 all the more impressive.
"It's unbelievable, it's insane", Wilson said. "Tomorrow it's a new day and back to work". "It's been a lot of fun to have a front row seat to it". Evgeny Kuznetsov scored the OT victor.
"When I score 599, I felt like, 'OK I still have to make a push two periods,"' Ovechkin said. Turning more serious, Grubauer was happy for his teammate and said he has been fortunate to be a part of many of his milestones throughout the years. He joked that Ovechkin scoring 600 was "a free meal" for him and was thrilled to put a positive capper on the night for Washington.
Greeting Ovechkin the locker room, owner Ted Leonsis took the moment to express his gratitude for 600 goals over the past 13 seasons. "It's really remarkable what he's accomplished". "I'm very proud of him", Leonsis said. "OK, it's over. You have to move forward", he told reporters.
- Dividend Yield & Upside For American Electric Power Company, Inc. (NYSE:AEP)
- Matt Damon and Ben Affleck's production company to introduce inclusion riders
- Longtime Trump aide fired over financial crime investigation
- Trump Says US to Quit Iran Deal if Significant Changes Not Made
- Jose Mourinho Tells Real Madrid To Forget Signing David De Gea
- China to merge regulators, create new ministries
- Bills to sign Panthers DT Star Lotulelei when free agency opens
- Trouble looms as Buhari rejects Election Re-ordering Amendment
- Manchester United vs. Sevilla
- New Ford Fiesta ST gains optional LSD