The North Carolina graduate was part of an offensive line that allowed just 27 sacks, the seventh fewest in the league, and paved the way for the league's 11-ranked running attack. "James is a reliable, tough and versatile player who has played a lot of football for us". While Hurst has never been a top lineman, his value comes in being able to play both tackle and guard.
By signing Hurst, the Ravens now have 10 unrestricted free agents.
While he had a few hard moments in his transition to a new position this past year, Hurst mostly held up and filled a major void after the Ravens lost their top starting guards to season-ending injuries. The size of the contract suggests Hurst, who had been mostly a dependable and versatile backup prior to 2017, will be a starting lineman for Baltimore for seasons to come.
Veteran Ravens safety Lardarius Webb has tweeted goodbye to Baltimore, as the Ravens have terminated the veteran's contract.
Webb appeared to confirm the news, posting "Thank you Baltimore it's been a great run" on his Twitter account Monday afternoon.
Webb, 32, is the Ravens' second-longest tenured defender, only trailing outside linebacker Terrell Suggs.
From that point on, Webb became a mainstay in Baltimore's secondary, although he missed the Ravens' run to a Super Bowl title during the 2012-13 campaign due to a torn ACL he suffered in Week 6 of that year.
The 32-year-old was also released in early March last year, but was offered a three-year contract to return a month later. Webb appeared in all 16 regular-season games for the Ravens this past season, registering 37 total tackles, two sacks, two interceptions and one forced fumble.
Hurst held his own in starting two games at left tackle in the playoffs following the 2014 regular season as both Eugene Monroe and Rick Wagner were sidelined.
The long-time Raven is a fan favorite for both his performance on the field and his involvement in the community.
- USC Earns No. 2 Seed in NCAA Woman's Basketball Tournament
- Trump readies tariff plan rollout, exempting Mexico, Canada
- Parent to sell TCS stake
- SBI reduces minimum balance charges to Rs 15: Check out new rates
- Indian Wells: Roger Federer match suspended, Verdasco stuns Dimitrov
- 30 accused in 2009 Mangaluru pub attack acquitted
- Bill to foil loot & scoot introduced in House
- Analyst Stock Recommendations For Cedar Realty Trust, Inc. (CDR), Zumiez Inc. (ZUMZ)
- Aditya Narayan gets bail after slamming Auto rickshaw with his vehicle
- Oil prices fall further as soaring U.S. production comes back into focus