Now, no agency, including banks and telecom service providers, will be authorized to act against subscribers who don't have Aadhaar linked.
The linkage with Aadhaar need not be done till the Supreme Court delivers its judgment in the matter.
On December 15 past year, the apex court had set March 31, 2018 as the deadline to link the 12-digit unique number with a range of services.
In an interim order, the court has said that the government can not insist on mandatory Aadhaar linkages - unless it is for the express goal of subsidies - until the bench finally decides one way or the other.
The top court, however, said Aadhaar for direct benefit transfers will continue to be mandatory.
Last week, Attorney General K K Venugopal told the Supreme Court that the government was open to extending the deadline. A judgment in the case, therefore, is unlikely before the end of this month. This would mean that the March 31 deadline will no longer apply.
The SC bench comprises of chief justice Misra, jutices AK Sikri, AM Khanwilkar, DY Chandrachud and Ashok Bhushan. Justice Chandrachud, too, had pointed out that even if the court reserved its verdict on March 20, the banks and other institution would have only 10 days left, which might be hard. The designated bank branches should cater to people for Aadhaar enrollment and update, even if they do not have an account with that particular branch.
As a result of this order Aadhaar is not mandatory for various other services.
It was passed on 11 March 2016 by the Lok Sabha. According to the government, that's 99 per cent of the country's adult population.
- Federer on fire in Indian Wells
- ETRADE Capital Management LLC Buys 368 Shares of American Tower Corp (AMT)
- Redmi 5 To Be Launched In India As An Amazon Exclusive
- Dow turns lower as industrial stocks weigh
- How Barbershops Could Play a Role in Lowering Blood Pressure
- All you need to know about the new 'Millennial Railcard'
- SG Americas Securities LLC Raises Position in Sears Holdings Corp (NASDAQ:SHLD)
- What Does The Data Behind Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ:MSFT) Suggest?
- Jose Mourinho delivers fitness update on Anthony Martial and Paul Pogba
- Citizens Financial Group Inc (CFG) Holdings Raised by FDx Advisors Inc