The deceased jawan belonged to the 212 battalion of the CRPF, news agency ANI said.
The CRPF personnel were on a routine patrolling in Palodi of Kishtaram area in Sukma district when their vehicle was attacked by Naxalites at around 11 am.
Awasthi said reinforcements have reached the spot and the firing has stopped.
At least nine personnel of the 212 Battalion of the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) were killed in a powerful IED blast by Maoists in Chhattisgarh's Sukma district on Tuesday. "Injured personnel are being evacuated by helicopter to Raipur", a CRPF official said.
Describing the attack as "cowardly", the Chief Minister said naxals hit the CRPF vehicle with an improvised explosive device (IED) because their identity diminished due to development work in the state.
Following the attack, officials said huge contingents of paramilitary and police were rushed to the spot to take on Naxals. He bowed to each and every security personnel who attained martyrdom while serving the nation.
Home Minister Rajnath Singh also condemned the attack and described the incident as "deeply distressing".
He took to twitter and wrote this, "My heartfelt condolences to the families of that person who lost their lives in Sukma blast".
Some jawans were also reported to be injured in the explosion, but there was no official confirmation yet, he said. "Eight CRPF personnel martyred in blast during search operation in Chhattisgarh's Sukma".
In the previous year, Naxals killed 25 CRPF jawans. "I spoke to DG CRPF regarding the Sukma incident and asked him to leave for Chhattisgarh", he tweeted.
On March 2, 10 Maoists and a constable of elite commando force Greyhounds were killed in an encounter in the forests of Chhattisgarh's Bijapur district, bordering Telangana.
- Vu Televisions with Android and Google Assistant expected to launch today
- Federer on fire in Indian Wells
- All you need to know about the new 'Millennial Railcard'
- ETRADE Capital Management LLC Buys 368 Shares of American Tower Corp (AMT)
- Dow turns lower as industrial stocks weigh
- Bears reportedly expected to land Allen Robinson when free agency opens
- Citizens Financial Group Inc (CFG) Holdings Raised by FDx Advisors Inc
- How Barbershops Could Play a Role in Lowering Blood Pressure
- 1 dead, 2 injured in shooting at Plant City business
- Man Utd boss Mourinho blasts de Boer over Rashford remarks