ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that when free agency officially opens on Wednesday, Richburg will sign a five-year deal with the 49ers.
Richburg, 26, was a second-round pick out of Colorado State in 2014 and he missed just one game in his first three professional seasons. After missing three games, the Giants placed Richburg on injured reserve in November. In February, the 49ers signed center Daniel Kilgore, 30, to a three-year extension. He had spent much of his rookie year as the starting center and has spent the last few seasons playing in between both center and guard. However, he sustained a concussion in Week 4 previous year and the injury ended his season.
San Francisco has some interior O-line question marks this offseason. Brandon Fusco, 29, who started 16 games at right guard, is a free agent.
At guard, 2017 starter Laken Tomlinson and Joshua Garnett, a 2016 first-round pick who sat out past year with a knee injury, have been expected to compete for starting spots. Kilgore's injury history, though, is less of a concern with Richburg on the roster. So why is Richburg getting a five-year deal coming off an injury-riddled 2017 National Football League campaign?
As former KNBR 680 insider Kevin Jones pointed out, Richburg fits the outside-zone scheme head coach Kyle Shanahan operates.
It might not have been as splashy a signing as Norwell, but Richburg provides an upgrade and should be 100 percent recovered after his season-ending concussion a year ago.
- Qatar Renews Al-Bunduq Oil Deal With Abu Dhabi
- Maverick Capital LTD Has Upped Universal Hlth Svcs INC (UHS) Stake
- Las Vegas Sands (LVS) Earns Coverage Optimism Rating of 0.19
- Las Vegas Sands Corp. (LVS) Receives $71.54 Consensus Price Target from Analysts
- Technical Recap on SUPERVALU Inc. (SVU)
- Fire destroys historic building in Mazeppa, cause under investigation
- Chennaiyin fights back to hold FC Goa
- IShares Currency Hedged MSCI SWZ (HEWL) Declines 1.1759% for Mar 12
- Spirit AeroSystems Holdings, Inc. (NYSE:SPR) SVP Sells 1100 Shares of Stock
- Browns making 'big run' at Nate Solder