He said that most of Canada's pulse crop exports will not be affected by the tariffs set forth by India.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Canada could use tariffs to fight any "increased pressure" of steel dumping into Canada aimed at circumventing new USA restrictions.
Trudeau said Trump urged a quick deal on the NAFTA talks that have dragged on since last August and an eighth round of discussions are slated for Washington at an as-yet unannounced date.
"That was significant and we were glad to see that", she said.
Mr. Trudeau said on CNBC Monday that Canada's exemption from the tariffs have nothing to do with NAFTA talks.
He said he began talking about steel with Trump at the G7 summit in Sicily a year ago, when he was emphatic that Canada poses no national security threat to the U.S. The statement on the call said Trump had emphasized "quickly concluding" the NAFTA negotiations.
Edgard Garrido / Reuters Mexican Economy Minister Ildefonso Guajardo, Canadian Foreign Minister Chrystia Freeland and U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer smile during a joint news conference on the closing of the seventh round of NAFTA talks in Mexico City, Mexico on March 5, 2018.
Reuters reported that Sean Donnelly, Chief Executive of ArcelorMittal Dofasco, said on Tuesday the company is not seeking Canadian government aid as the domestic steel industry faces uncertainty after US President Donald Trump provided temporary relief on steel imports.
However Trump specifically mentioned NAFTA in his press conference announcing the exemptions on March 8.
"As I said to the congressional leadership, as I said to the president last week: We are always happy to better co-ordinate and to work together to do even more to ensure that we are protecting the North American steel industry". He added that national security was an important part of that deal and, if a deal is made, "this will figure into the deal and we won't have the tariffs on Canada or Mexico".
The Americans want a new deal between the three NAFTA signatories, Mexico is the other partner, by spring, long before US congressional elections in the fall.
But both Mexico and Canada rejected Trump's linkage of the levies to the ongoing NAFTA talks.
"We are very concerned about the actions taken by China and the dumping of steel and aluminum on the global market", Trudeau said following a tour of an aluminum plant in Quebec.
Other stops will include Hamilton, Sault Ste.
- Research Ratings: Flowserve Corporation (FLS), Fortune Brands Home & Security, Inc. (FBHS)
- Crash with multiple injuries involves Hancock school van
- Everything new in Nintendo Switch system update 5.0.0
- Trump sacks Tillerson over policy disagreements
- Polls Close In Closely Watched House Special Election In PA
- Karnataka poll watch: Rajya Sabha nominations, candidate screening and more
- BTS Documentary Confirmed To Be YouTube Red Original Series
- Pi Day deals: Blaze Pizza, Papa Murphy's, Boston Market, more
- Home Depot Inc (HD) Holdings Lifted by Argent Trust Co
- Bride-to-be and hen party die in private jet crash