Real estate investment in China rose 9.9 percent in the first two months of 2018 from the same period previous year, even as property sales softened in the face of government cooling measures, data from the National Bureau of Statistics showed on Wednesday.
The growth was faster than the 6.3 percent growth during the same period previous year, the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) said in a statement.
The higher output comes even as authorities press on with their fight against smog by clamping down on polluting heavy industries.
"The national economy has maintained stable and sound development in the first two months of 2018", said NBS spokesman Mao Shengyong. Private investment accounts for about 60% of overall investment in China. The increase outpaced a median forecast for a 6.1% rise by economists surveyed by The Wall Street Journal.
At the same time, retail sales growth accelerated to 9.7% in January to February period.
China combines January and February activity data in a bid to smooth out seasonal distortions caused by the timing of the long Lunar New Year holidays, which began in mid-February this year but fell in January last year.
Fixed asset investment grew 7.9 percent year-on-year for the first two months, beating expectations of 7.0 percent, and reversing a trend of falling investment seen in the latter half of 2017.
China's gross domestic product grew at 6.9 percent past year, the first annual acceleration since 2010.
China plans to cut ineffective steel capacity of 30 million tonnes and coal capacity of 150 million tonnes in 2018, according to a government work report released earlier this month.
China's industrial production expanded the most since mid-2017 and retail sales grew strongly, suggesting that the economy sustained robust growth at the start of the year.
- Walmart (WMT) Lowered to "Market Perform" at UBS Group
- Intuitive Surgical, Inc. (NASDAQ:ISRG) SVP Mark J. Meltzer Sells 24000 Shares
- Oprah Denies Knowing About Weinstein's Sexual Misconduct Says She Was Bullied
- Out-of-control fire destroying Melbourne retirement home
- Shane McMahon Taking Indefinite Leave of Absence as WWE SmackDown Commissioner
- The Suntrust Banks Inc. Grows Position in Nike Inc (NKE)
- Google's new doodle marks 30th anniversary of Pi Day
- Three Illinois men accused in Minnesota mosque bombing
- Can you watch the 2018 NCAA Tournament on your mobile device?
- Trump threatens Europe with more tariffs