In the second incident of its kind since January in Haryana, a college lecturer was shot dead on the campus by an unidentified student in Sonipat district on Tuesday, police said.
Meanwhile, the police are also trying to ascertain the reason for the murder.
The deceased, Rajesh Malik, was aged between 35 to 40 years of age, they said.
This content is restricted to site members. Rajesh Malik, a lecturer in Shahid Dalbir Singh State College, was in the clerk room when a student named Jagmal entered the room and shot Rajesh multiple times.
Talking to The Indian Express over phone, Superintendent of Police (Sonipat) Satendra Kumar Gupta said, "The accused is identified and we have launched a manhunt for the accused who shall be nabbed soon".
A police officer said that the lecturer had reprimanded Jagmal after a girl student complained that he had harassed her. It is too early to confirm the identity of the student and motive behind the killing. Police reached the spot and is investigating the incident. At this stage, we cannot reveal the identity of the accused.
The professor's body has been sent for an autopsy.
The incident comes weeks after a Class 12 student shot his school principal at a private school in Haryana's Yamunanagar with his father's licensed revolver.
- China's Industrial Production Rises Most Since Mid
- Maruti Suzuki Swift likely to get a six-speed gearbox
- Tim McGraw Less Flying, Shorter Workouts I'll Be Okay After Collapse
- Eye-rolling reporter is too much for China's censors
- London's mayor bashes free speech
- IndiGo continues to operate with curtailed schedule, cancels 42 flights
- AIR 1 Nishita Purohit Shares Preparation Strategies with NEET, AIIMS Aspirants
- Most expensive cars in the world: review of 2018
- Sarepta Therapeutics (SRPT) Earns Overweight Rating from Piper Jaffray Companies
- Jake Arrieta: 'Eagles Success Has Made Philly Hungrier'