The Vasyl Lomachenko-Jorge Linares fight is official. (Lomachenko) and De La Hoya's Golden Boy Promotions (Linares) have come to an agreement for Lomachenko to challenge Linares for the Venezuelan's WBA lightweight title May 12 at Madison Square Garden in NY. Furthermore, there were concerns that the Lomachenko-Linares fight would overlap with another Golden Boy card on HBO. Once that was worked out, Top Rank and Golden Boy signed their contract with each other on Monday afternoon, sources said.
The fight is not only one of the most significant that can be made in boxing, but it also shows that longtime bitter rivals Top Rank and Golden Boy can make fights together, although most of the deal was ironed out between Top Rank and Japan's Teiken Promotions, Linares' co-promoter.
De La Hoya initially indicated Linares (44-3, 27 KOs) gladly would fight Lomachenko, just not the night of May 12, due to the television scheduling conflict. Since suffering back-to-back losses in 2011 and 2012, Linares has won 13 fights in a row.
Lomachenko, 30, the sublime two-time Olympic gold medalist from Ukraine who set a boxing record for the fewest fights needed to win titles in two weight divisions, will return to MSG for the second straight time, only this time in the big arena.
Lomachenko made Rigondeaux quit after the sixth round.
After winning the WBO featherweight title in only his third fight, Lomachenko has risen from one of the greatest unpaid fighters to a pound for pound star and future boxing legend. He is a four-time world champion in three weight classes, having held the WBA and Ring magazine lightweight titles since 2016.
Talks of a fight between Lomachenko and Linares have been making the rounds in the boxing world for weeks, but there were several hurdles before the fight became a reality.
- Google to ban cryptocurrency and ICO ads
- Sergio Garcia, wife Angela at hospital preparing to welcome baby girl
- Pritzker laureate Richard Meier faces sexual harassment accusations
- Sierra Leone head for presidential polls runoff
- Ileana Comments On Casting Couch
- IndiGo continues to operate with curtailed schedule, cancels 42 flights
- Jake Arrieta: 'Eagles Success Has Made Philly Hungrier'
- Trump says watching courts before acting on gun age limits
- Sarepta Therapeutics (SRPT) Earns Overweight Rating from Piper Jaffray Companies
- Haryana professor shot dead for scolding student over eve-teasing