Stephen Hawking, the world's most famous physicist - celebrated for his black hole discoveries - has died. according to his family.
The best-known theoretical physicist of his time, Professor Hawking wrote so lucidly of the mysteries of space, time and black holes that his book, "A Brief History of Time", became an worldwide bestseller, making him one of science's biggest celebrities since Albert Einstein. He was also the first come up with a theory of cosmology, which he explained by joining the theory of relativity and quantum mechanics. As his condition worsened, he had to resort to speaking through a voice synthesiser and communicating by moving his eyebrows.
His work ranged from the origins of the universe itself, through the tantalising prospect of time travel to the mysteries of space's all-consuming black holes. He was told he had only a few years to live.
Hawking was limited physically by early onset Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.
He went on to become a researcher at the University of Cambridge and Professorial Fellow at the Gonville and Caius College.
Professor Hawking has 12 honorary degrees, a CBE and was awarded the US Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2009.
The title "A Brief History of Time" was subsequently used for a 1991 documentary about Hawking himself, directed by Errol Morris with music by Philip Glass. The couple split after 25 years and he married his former nurse, Elaine Mason, but the union broke down amid allegations, denied by him, of abuse.
In 2015, Eddie Redmayne won an Oscar for his portrayal of Hawking in The Theory of Everything, a film about the scientist's life. They divorced in 2007.
"Professor Stephen Hawking is a brilliant man and a mediocre student", Mr. Obama said. Spreading out may be the only thing that saves us from ourselves.
In May last year, Hawking warned that humans should leave earth within 100 years if we wanted to survive.
- (NASDAQ:COST) Shares Sold by RKL Wealth Management LLC
- US citizen gets prison in al-Qaida case
- Central bank digital currencies could aid policy transmission
- State of Finland acquires over €840m in Nokia shares
- Recap of Sunday night Fastlane, Cena challenges Undertaker on Raw
- Marqise Lee re-signing with Jaguars
- Leo Varadkar promises Schwarzenegger: 'I'll be back'
- 49ers will sign Weston Richburg
- Three Illinois men accused in Minnesota mosque bombing
- Spain arrests 155 over Chinese human trafficking ring