It would have required gun shops to get licensed with the state.
The Legislature passed the measure last month in response to a deadly shooting at a Florida high school and the shooting death of a Chicago police commander.
Legislation to bar possession of assault-style weapons by those younger than 21 was amended to make criminal-defense exceptions for those who had the guns before the law took effect.
Gov. Bruce Rauner appointed Susan Haling as Executive Inspector General for the Agencies of the Illinois Governor on Wednesday.
He says the proposal is not the right approach.
"I think it does create another layer after the federal government already has gun dealer licensing", Brady said.
Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel had also asked the governor to approve the measure.
State Sen. Don Harmon, an Oak Park Democrat, and sponsor of the measure, says the governor's decision is about politics. "We have ample proof that such narrowly focused legislative responses make for good political cover, but they do little to stop the illegal flow of guns into IL or prevent people from committing thousands of crimes in our state each year with illegal guns".
Rauner faces conservative challenger Jeanne Ives in next week's Republican primary. "I know he has a primary election a week away from today", Emanuel said.
MOLINE- Illinois Republicans are in the midst of trying to keep the Governor's Mansion red, but members are trying to decide who to vote for, for that position.
- Crypto exchange Coinbase receives FCA e-money license, partners with Barclays
- Clemency Denied for "Stocking Strangler"
- (CELG) Position Cut by BTC Capital Management Inc
- Writing essay service how it is.
- JC Penney Company Inc (JCP) Receives $3.94 Consensus Price Target from Analysts
- US Wholesale Inflation Down Last Month
- Service Robotics Market - North America to Continue to Remain Strong Market
- Federation Internationale de Football Association ranking: Super Eagles retains position
- Driving Needs: 5 Car Accessories for a Better Ride
- New Zealand XI vs England