Substitute Breel Embolo helped create the decider when his pass across the box was turned into his own net by Robin Knoche four minutes from time.
Schalke 04 needed an 86th-minute own goal from Robin Knoche to beat hosts VfL Wolfsburg 1-0 yesterday, tightening their grip on second place and delaying title celebrations for leaders Bayern Munich by at least one matchday.
"We played well, but to miss a penalty and concede a goal like that is typical of our current situation", Knoche told Sky.
"I was thrilled for the team and for Ralf Fahrmann in particular because it hasn't always been easy for him this season and he hasn't always been at his best, which makes it all the better that he kept us in the game today", Tedesco said after the match, according to the Bundesliga's official website.
Hamburg's defeat keeps them second from bottom, seven points behind Mainz, who were outclassed in a 3-0 defeat to local rivals Eintracht Frankfurt. Luka Jovic then doubled the lead on 22 minutes, before Ante Rebic made it three just before half-time.
Koen Casteels had pulled off a superb reaction save to deny Matija Nastasic a goal late in the first half, however late on Riechedly Bazoer won a penalty for the Wolves, only for Ralf Fährmann to save the spot kick from Paul Verhaegh. Lars Stindl then leveled before Florian Grillitsch quickly restored the visitors' advantage.
Elsewhere, Werder Bremen moved further away from the bottom three with a clinical 3-1 win over Augsburg, while Matthias Ginter saved a late point for Borussia Moenchengladbach in a six-goal thriller with Hoffenheim.
Belfodil was twice on target before halftime.
Hertha Berlin rallied for a 2-1 victory at relegation-haunted Hamburg. Everything looked to be going well for the former European champions and their new coach Christian Titz when Douglas Santos put them ahead in the 25th minute.
Hamburg, the only club never to be relegated from the Bundesliga, is seven points from safety after 14 matches without a victory.
- Laboratory Corp. of America Holdings (LH) Stake Decreased by Alliancebernstein LP
- Rajneesh Gurbani puts Vidarbha on brink of Irani Cup win
- Security Forces Apprehend The Terrorist Who Murdered Rav Itamar Ben-Gal HY'D
- Ellington Management Group LLC Invests $658000 in Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Co (HMHC)
- Russian Federation summons United Kingdom ambassador over spy rift
- Syria: President Bashar Assad visits troops in eastern Ghouta
- Should President Trump Fire Special Counsel Robert Mueller?
- United flight diverted after dog loaded onto wrong flight, airline says
- On Assignment, Inc. (ASGN) Surges to Record High, Is Now Top Performer
- NY Trims Stake in Express Scripts Holding (ESRX)