Schalke 04 beat Borussia Dortmund 2-0 Sunday in the Ruhr derby to consolidate second place in the Bundesliga and move even closer to securing a Champions League spot.
Schalke battled back from 4-0 down away to Dortmund to claim a sensational draw earlier in the campaign but no such dramatics were needed at the Veltins-Arena on Sunday.
Marco Reus' dipping free-kick forced a smart save from home goalkeeper Ralf Fahrmann in the 24th minute before Schalke nearly broke the deadlock on the brink of half-time when Konoplyanka's shot from just inside the area went inches wide.
The last time these two rivals met, Dortmund, playing at the Westfalenstadion, blew a four goal lead, allowing Schalke to earn a point.
Yet with eight minutes to play, Schalke were awarded a free-kick around 30 metres from goal. The Dortmund captain lost the ball to Daniel Caligiuri, who surged forward and found the unmarked Konoplyanka to pick his spot and blast inside the left post.
Konoplyanka's effort proved a sighter as he hammered Schalke in front in the 50th minute.
Konoplyanka broke the deadlock five minutes after the break after a mistake from Marcel Schmelzer.
Reus did manage to test Fahrmann on 67 minutes after Schalke survived a penalty appeal when Christian Pulisic went to ground, and the US worldwide fizzed a first-time shot over the bar four minutes later from the German's cross.
It seemed possible that Dortmund will sign Batshuayi permanently after his successful loan spell, but his future could be up in the air as it now looks like he could be out of this summer's World Cup, having sustained a suspected fracture to either his ankle or his leg in a 50/50 tackle with former Spurs midfielder Benjamin Stambouli.
- World 355 Andujar wins Marrakech title
- Facebook adds AR drawing and Instagram's Boomerang to Stories
- President Trump Responds To FBI Raid Of His Lawyer's Office
- Barnier: the United Kingdom can change its mind on Brexit until 2020
- Carrie Underwood's face is on the mend five months after nasty accident
- Mother was drunk when Hart family SUV plunged into ocean, police say
- As of May, 16 Analysts See $0.07 EPS for Photronics, Inc. (PLAB)
- IShares Core Conservative Allocation (AOK) Declines 0.2% for April 14
- (CIT) Given Consensus Recommendation of "Hold" by Analysts
- Arsenal star compares 'calm' Wenger and 'electric' Klopp