A 51-year-old man died Saturday following an incident at a Stop and Shop in Brooklyn in what witnesses describe as an attempt to hold an accused shoplifter. Authorities were dispatched to a Stop & Shop on the 1000 block of Flatbush Avenue in Flatbush after receiving a call about a shoplifter.
Another shopper identified the three employees as the store's manager, assistant manager and a produce worker.
"I saw this guy laying on the floor, and there was a man over him - sitting over him", said another witness.
Police say they have arrested a man who allegedly caused a vehicle accident that sent himself and seven others to the hospital Friday night.
'He said, "I have a bad heart, I can not breathe".
The medical examiner will determine the cause of death, and police are investigating whether a crime was committed. "So they wrestled him and he didn't want - he wasn't trying to be held, he was trying to get out", said Jacene McDonald.
When emergency responders arrived on the scene around 7:49 a.m., he was in cardiac arrest and was taken to Kings County Hospital Center in critical condition, according to the FDNY.
The store has said it is cooperating with authorities on an investigation.
In a statement on Sunday, Stop & Shop said that it is "saddened by the death that occurred at our Flatbush Avenue store on Saturday".
He was later pronounced dead at the hospital, police said. New York City Police officers were immediately called to the store.
- Assad tells Russian lawmakers Western strikes were act of aggression
- United hand title to City
- Volkswagen restructures management and company structure
- Morgan Stanley Trims Vodafone (VOD) Target Price to GBX 270
- New Star War Han Solo Spot
- Cardi B Debuts at No. 1 With 'Invasion of Privacy'
- Interxion (NYSE:INXN) Earns "Outperform" Rating from William Blair
- Justin Bieber Allegedly Punched a Man for Choking Woman at Coachella Party
- Micron Technology, Inc. (MU) Boosted at Goldman Sachs Group Inc
- Unnao rape case: CBI arrests woman who took girl to MLA Sengar