Last week, Food Poisoning Bulletin told you that government officials did not have a specific food in mind.
This investigation is ongoing, and CDC will provide more information as it becomes available. Last year, an outbreak of 17 E. coli infections were reported in 13 states across the United States, all of which occurred from November 15, 2017 through December 8, 2017. Ninety-three percent of the patients interviewed said they ate romaine lettuce the week before they got sick. The restaurants said they used bagged, chopped romaine lettuce to make the salads.
Before purchasing romaine lettuce at a grocery store or eating it at a restaurant, consumers should confirm with the store or restaurant that it is not chopped romaine lettuce from the Yuma, Arizona growing region.
The CDC has not been able to identify a common grower, supplier, distributor or brand of romaine lettuce. But there have been a few recalls issued in connection with this matter.
One Pennsylvania company, Fresh Foods Manufacturing, announced on Saturday a voluntary recall of 8,757 pounds of retail salad products. People in the previous outbreak were infected with a different DNA fingerprint of E. coli O157:H7 bacteria. So far, the contaminated lettuce can be traced only to the Yuma, Arizona, growing region. At this time, ill people are not reporting whole heads or hearts of romaine. Symptoms include bloody diarrhea, severe stomach cramps and vomiting. "Anyone experiencing symptoms of this illness should see a healthcare provider". If it is unclear from where the lettuce came from Yuma, do not purchase it, CDC suggested.
Epidemiologic evidence collected to date indicates that chopped romaine lettuce is the likely source of this outbreak. We get answers, compensation for our clients who have been injured, and justice through our work. Read CDC's advice to consumers, restaurants, and retailers. Please note that class action lawsuits are usually not appropriate for outbreak victims because these types of cases are unique.
- Farah Khan to choreograph Sonam Kapoor and Anand Ahuja's sangeet ceremony?
- Elliott Advisors Ups Whitbread Stake, Proposes Business Split (ALLISS)
- James Harrison announces retirement after 16 seasons
- Downing Street rejects request to discuss Windrush generation's immigration problems
- India to have 'normal' Monsoon this year, says IMD
- PM Narendra Modi rolls out healthcare and wellness scheme Ayushman Bharat Yojna
- Shire sells oncology business to France's Servier for $2.4bn
- Sensex ends higher for 8th day, Nifty settles above 10500
- Armenia ruling coalition formally nominates ex-president Sargsyan's candidacy as next PM
- ValuEngine Lowers RSP Permian (RSPP) to Sell