But with City so far clear at the top of the table it was a question of when and not if their coronation would be confirmed, especially after a 3-1 win over Tottenham at Wembley on Saturday put them on the brink.
Pep Guardiola's side won the league with five games to spare, but in a manner most unexpected after a slip-up by their city rivals.
A week after City surrendered a 2-0 lead to lose 3-2 to United and squander the chance to wrap up the title in flawless style against their arch-rivals, it was relegation-bound West Brom who served it up on a plate.
The Baggies can acquire a maximum of 36 points with four games left in the campaign, but their fixture list is the toughest of the lot with matches against Liverpool, Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace and Newcastle United - all of whom are in good vein of form.
"I'm buzzing, over the moon, so happy".
Mourinho used a powerful blueprint to break Arsenal and Manchester United's duopoly, focusing on building a defense that, anchored by John Terry and Ricardo Carvalho, would concede only 15 goals - less than half the number let in by second-placed Arsenal.
He won three league titles with Barcelona and twice lifted the Champions League trophy during his Camp Nou reign.
Looking for a challenge elsewhere, Guardiola came to England and took over the reigns of Manchester City who has been on a rise for a while and imposed his methodology.
"This one differs in that we were consistent the whole season and we were able to play at the level we're expected to perform at". Having lost just two games all season, it's a remarkable achievement to win the title in April itself with five games remaining.
"I was talking before the game and I was saying the first time you win it you feel you are going to win all of them and the first time you lose it you feel like you are never going to win it again, so you want to hold on to this feeling".
"We've won the league for you, Man City, Man City", West Brom's fans chanted after the final whistle.
- Woolworths hit by nationwide technical outage
- HPBOSE 12th Result 2018 likely to be announced on 25th April
- H&M's next designer collaboration will be with Moschino
- Rising Star 2 Winner: Hemant Brijwasi Takes The Winning Trophy Home
- Baaghi 2 hits Rs150 crore, October finishes weekend with Rs19 crore
- Vladimir Putin predicts 'global chaos' if West strikes Syria again
- Four elephants, including a calf, killed after train runs over them
- Verdict likely today in 2007 Mecca Masjid blast in Hyderabad
- Multiple people injured after large fight at Greenwood Sikh temple
- VW replaces CEO Matthias Mueller amid group restructure