A 19-year-old Delhi boy, Adnan Khurram was arrested by Delhi police on Saturday, for impersonating as a doctor at AIIMS for the last five months..
The 36-year-old PhD student from the Microbiology department had allegedly attempted suicide at his residence in Gautam Nagar by overdosing on drugs on March 25 and had accused his supervisor of mental harassment, abuse and delay in his fellowship. "We started doubting his credentials and then we found that he is not from any of our departments", said Dr Abhishek Singh, vice-president, Resident Doctors' Association, AIIMS.
Khurram, a native of Sitamarhi, Bihar, was attending to his sister being treated at AIIMS, but was apparently unsatisfied with the slow pace. The accused, Adnan Khurram, delved into his "character" of a doctor so much that he somehow got his name printed in the doctors' diary, participated in the programmes meant for the AIIMs doctors, and posted pictures with stethoscope and white coat on social media more often.
The chief resident Doctor's Association, Harjit Singh said, "He would roam around wearing the lab coat and stethoscope all the time". We found out that he made different claims to different doctors. According to a report in the English daily DNA, the man used to identify himself as a junior resident doctor and it was only after some doctors shared his photo (online) that he was caught by the security personnel at the hospital. He further said that since AIIMS had some 2,000 resident doctors at the campus, it was hard to keep track of all of them, a fact that Khurram seemed to have used to his advantage. When he could not give a satisfactory reply, they called the police.
It is not yet clear why Khurram made a decision to impersonate an AIIMS doctor as the police said that he kept changing his statement regarding the reason, the daily reported. One statement suggests he committed the crime to help an ailing family member get preferential treatment.
Khurram has been booked under IPC sections 419 (impersonation) and 468 (forgery for goal of cheating) at Hauz Khas Police Station.
Khurram has studied till Class X and has no criminal record. A case has been lodged against him and he has been booked under charges of impersonation. In the past as well, "fake doctor" have been caught treating people at the hospital.
- Why John Oliver Paid $7000 for Russell Crowe's Leather Cinderella Man Jockstrap
- Despite Trilateral Attacks OPCW Will Continue Douma Chemical Weapons Investigation
- As Fedex (FDX) Shares Declined, Shareholder Beach Investment Counsel INC Increased Stake
- Royal Dutch Shell (RDS.B) Elder Force Creeps Below The Zero Line
- Coli outbreak traced to romaine lettuce
- Man arrested for flashing and masturbating at women, calls it 'drunken habit'
- The Coca-Cola Company (KO) Shares Bought by Well Done LLC
- Kinross Gold Corporation (NYSE:KGC): A Distinct Look Into The Stock
- John Stamos welcomes son
- Honor 10 stops by TENAA ahead of official launch, key specs revealed