In a statement published on Twitter before the account was closed, Wetherspoons said: "In a world of social media, J D Wetherspoon has made a decision to close down all Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and other social media accounts for individual pubs and head office".
It was announced on Monday that the popular pub chain will be removing its Twitter, Facebook and Instagram accounts following recent concerns over the misuse of personal data and the addictive nature of social media.
"In a world of social media, J D Wetherspoon has chose to close down all Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and other social media accounts for individual pubs and head office", the JD Wetherspoon Twitter account posted before it was shut down; the irony seemingly lost on the pub brand.
The 900-strong pub chain used Twitter to inform its 44,000 followers that it would no longer be active on the platform.
Chairman Tim Martin was confident the move would not affect business and told the BBC competitors were "wasting hours of their time" manning social media accounts.
Spoons will still be maintaining its web site and updating its app, while it also came up with the novel idea of suggesting its customers actually talk to the manager of their local Wetherspoon if they have any feedback.
Mr Martin said Wetherspoon would remain as vocal as ever, but would instead use its magazine and website as well as the press for news updates.
In a statement issued today, JDW said the decision had been made following bad publicity surrounding social media, including the "trolling of MPs and others, especially those from or ethnic minorities". While there was no specific case which angered the Wetherspoon boss, he said he became increasingly concerned after reading reports of MPs being targeted for online abuse.
- Rossi 'the person to beat' for IndyCar title - Power
- Guardiola reacts after Manchester United lose to hand Man City title
- Sony Xperia XZ2 Premium arrives to take on Samsung Galaxy S9
- About 36% Britons Support, 40% Oppose Western Strikes on Syria
- Rahul, Sonia to visit their constituencies
- The Walking Dead Finale Recap 4/15/18: Season 8 Episode 16 "Wrath"
- Amethi: Pregnant woman gang-raped by taxi driver and 3 others
- Rising Star 2 Winner: Hemant Brijwasi Takes The Winning Trophy Home
- Celtic Thrash Rangers To Reach Scottish Cup Final
- Tesla CEO Elon Musk Admits 'Humans Are Underrated'