Russia's foreign minister says a suspected chemical attack in the Syrian town of Douma last weekend was fabricated with the help of an unspecified foreign intelligence agency.
"We have irrefutable evidence that this was another staged event, and that the secret services of a certain state that is now at the forefront of a Russophobic campaign was involved in this staged event", Lavrov declared at a press conference in Moscow.
The Russian minister warned that any "venture" in Syria that is similar to what happened in Iraq and Libya "will entail new waves of immigration to Europe and other repercussions that we and our European partners do not want".
The current escalation of the situation in Syria "has a destructive effect on the whole system of global relations", the Kremlin said.
On Friday night, the US, France and the United Kingdom launched coordinated strikes in Syria as President Donald Trump sought to "punish" his Syrian counterpart Bashar al-Assad for a suspected chemical attack in Douma, Eastern Ghouta, that killed over 70 people. "After that statement the USA and all other Western media should be aware of their responsibility for what has happened".
Russian Federation and the United States are using their channels of communications on Syria, according to the minister.
"All responsibility for them rests with Washington, London and Paris", he said in a statement, adding, "the worst apprehensions have come true". "Our warnings have been left unheard", TASS news agency reported. "Again, we are being threatened".
"Insulting the President of Russian Federation is unacceptable and inadmissible". "The US - the possessor of the biggest arsenal of chemical weapons - has no moral right to blame other countries".
"It's.highly likely an attempt to create complications for the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) mission which was just starting its work in Syria's Douma, or an attempt to completely derail it", Interfax quoted Kosachev as saying.
None of the air strikes hit zones where Russian air defence systems protect the Russian bases of Tartus and Hmeimim, Russian news agencies cited the Ministry of Defence as saying.
- Rising Star 2 Winner: Hemant Brijwasi Takes The Winning Trophy Home
- Karnataka elections: Dinesh Gundu Rao 'regrets' remark on Yogi
- Shenmue 1 And 2 Are Coming To Consoles And PC This Year
- Special status: Statewide bandh in Andhra Pradesh
- Salman Khan attempts backflip for Sultan in this throwback video
- HPBOSE 12th Result 2018 likely to be announced on 25th April
- ANC, Malema set aside differences for #WinnieMandelaFuneral
- The Walking Dead Finale Recap 4/15/18: Season 8 Episode 16 "Wrath"
- VW replaces CEO Matthias Mueller amid group restructure
- Sony Xperia XZ2 Premium arrives to take on Samsung Galaxy S9