The shutdown, called by the Pratyeka Hoda Vibhajana Hameela Sadhana Samithi- a people's forum- has the support of Left parties, YSR Congress Party and actor-politician Pawan Kalyan's Jana Sena party. A Motorcycle has been set ablaze near RTC bus stand in Tirupati during the statewide bandh in Andhra Pradesh. The leaders of these parties in the city have plans to begin the programme from Maddilapalem Junction at 5 a.m. and block the entire national highway no. 16 and ensure no vehicle passes through the city.
The ruling Telugu Desam Party (TDP), which has been fighting for the special status and implementation of the provisions of AP Reorganisation Act, is not participating in the shutdown.
The report also said transport services between Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh are also likely to be affected as well with the Karnataka State Road Transport Corporation announcing that it will operate its buses only till the Andhra Pradesh state border.
The YSR Congress slammed CM Naidu for opposing the bandh, accusing him of adopting "double standards".
On Sunday, Chief Minister Chandrababu Naidu said bandhs were not welcome as they hamper development.
He alleged that the state government had been issuing notices to those supporting the bandh, saying cases would be booked against them.
Rambabu also stated that Naidu had no right to protest against a shutdown as a bandh was a form of democratic protest. "Why this intimidation? As long as they are peaceful, we will continue all forms of democratic protests", PTI quoted Rambabu as saying. Opposition parties such as YSR Congress Party, Congress & Left parties have extended support to bandh.
They took to the streets since early morning, raising slogans against the Centre for going back on the promise to grant special status and fulfil all other commitments made at the time of bifurcation of Andhra Pradesh in 2014.
- US, allied strikes in Syria bring heated response
- China announces live-fire drill in Taiwan Strait
- Salah puts Champions League glory above the rest
- Manchester City rebound to beat Tottenham at Wembley
- Tax deadline: Things to know about filing taxes
- HMD Global to Release Nokia X(2018) on April 27, 2018
- What is known about suspected chemical weapons attack in Syria
- Woolworths hit by nationwide technical outage
- KPMG SA says two partners resign after facing disciplinary charges
- WhatsApp's 'Request Money' feature is showing up for some users!