What many people don't know is that you can file an extension.
- Two North Carolina tax preparers are headed to prison after admitting they filled out hundreds of fake tax returns involving more than half a million dollars. They said those instructions came from a co-owner of Fast Tax in Winston-Salem.
AARP Foundation tax service also offers free tax assistance for people 50 years and older who can't afford a tax preparation to file federal and Arizona returns.
Don't forget about state taxes, advised Lisa Greene-Lewis, tax expert for TurboTax.
Ray Maagero, from Liberty Tax in West Springfield told 22News there's a penalty for not filing on time, "So they are 5-percent per month if you don't file an extension or a timely filed return". Felder-Ruiz works for him as a tax preparer, authorities said. They'll need to wait because they don't have the information necessary to compute their tax obligation. "This penalty is larger than for not paying any balance due", advised Gil Charney, director at The Tax Institute at H&R Block.
On Tuesday, the IRS alerted consumers to a new email tax scam. For questions, call the IRS disaster hotline at 866-562-5227. However, they're more than happy to hang on to the money they owe you if you don't.
If you beleive you have been the victim of an identity scam or fraud, you should file a local police report and then notify the federal agency involved. While 36% of respondents overall selected this answer, more women planned to pay off debt (40%) than men (33%).
However, if you can't find a way to pay - file anyway.
- Handelsbanken Fonder AB Sells 1250 Shares of Caterpillar Inc. (NYSE:CAT)
- KPMG SA says two partners resign after facing disciplinary charges
- China announces live-fire drill in Taiwan Strait
- Macron Says He Told Putin Russia "Complicit" in "Syrian Chemical Weapons' Use"
- Saudi king announces US$150 million donation for East Jerusalem
- US, allied strikes in Syria bring heated response
- What is known about suspected chemical weapons attack in Syria
- Manchester City rebound to beat Tottenham at Wembley
- Suspected shark attack at Gracetown in Western Australia
- Trump's lawyer files papers in Cohen case