It is safe to say, however, that Harper will not be using his 33½-inch, 31½-ounce Marucci bat again, after it was shattered in two pieces, splitting just above his hand.
With two down in the top of the first inning against the Mets, Harper took the first pitch of the at-bat and sent it into the stands. Breaking your bat in two though, is extremely rare, and something that might have happened just once before.
Now in his seventh season, Harper, 25, has hit 158 career home runs, boosting his total with the solo shot in the first inning.
Harper broke his bat his first time up Monday against Jacob deGrom in the first inning.
I've seen broken bat home runs before.
Cole shifted to a relief role to make room for Hellickson in the rotation. "The conversation went really well", Martinez said, adding, "he's all for it".
Mets: RHP Zack Wheeler (1-0, 1.29) pitched seven sharp innings at Miami in his season debut, retiring the last 16 batters he faced.
Frazier, who is batting.313, singled in one run in the bottom of the first and doubled in another in the third.
Nationals: 3B Anthony Rendon (bruised left big toe) is still sore after fouling a ball off his foot Friday. The slugger was hitting just.190, striking out 26 times in 58 at-bats.
"It was impressive", Turner said "There's rumors that it was already broken beforehand". Ramos then walked pinch-hitter Matt Reynolds to force in the Nationals fourth run of the game. OF Jay Bruce (plantar fasciitis) didn't start for the second straight game. He hopes to be in the lineup Tuesday. Signed to a minor league contract late in spring training, he was added to the roster before the game.
- Pioneer Natural Resources Company (PXD) Sets 1-Year High on April , 16
- Picton Mahoney Asset Management Holds Stake in Encana Corp (ECA)
- Verizon Communications (VZ) Position Increased by Meeder Asset Management Inc
- TIAA CREF Investment Management LLC Grows Holdings in Perrigo (PRGO)
- National Weather Service Confirms Tornadoes, Recovery Underway
- Big Volume Stocks Valeant Pharmaceuticals International, Inc.'s (VRX)
- Fundamental & Quant Review of American Eagle Outfitters, Inc. (NYSE:AEO) Shares
- Many Surgical Trainees Consider Giving Up Their Careers When Pregnant
- Israel destroys Hamas' 'longest and deepest' border tunnel yet
- Davy Russell pays emotional tribute to fellow jockey after National win