Jerry Brown elicited rare and effusive praise from President Donald Trump last week after he pledged 400 troops to the Guard's third large-scale border mission since 2006.
Vitiello made the comments to reporters in Washington Monday after two US officials told The Associated Press said terms of the federal government's initial plans for sending National Guard troops to the border because the work is considered too closely tied to immigration.
He's stayed quiet on the subject other than to issue a letter accompanying California's offer to deploy the National Guard to combat transnational crime - but not participate in any immigration enforcement. Trump tweeted last week.
According to Associated Press sources, Brown would agree to send troops as long as they were not involved in immigration enforcement. It is unclear at this point what specific jobs the troops would, or would not, perform at the border.
The Defense Department said Monday the Trump and Brown administrations have not yet reached agreement on the terms of the California National Guard's deployment - and that negotiations continue.
According to the Associated Press, state officials notified federal authorities that deployed soldiers will be prohibited from tackling duties seen as cracking down on illegal immigration: including fixing border patrol vehicles, operating surveillance cameras, and monitoring radio transmissions. So far, the other three states appear to be complying with Trump's executive order. According to one US official, the California Guard has suggested assigning about 40 troops to marijuana eradication across the state.
- Learn about the mythology, music and voices in God of War
- Stock to keep an eye on: Medtronic plc (MDT)
- Should You Buy Activision Blizzard, Inc. (ATVI) or Exelixis, Inc. (EXEL)?
- Ford Motor Company (F) Stake Cut by Archford Capital Strategies LLC
- High school sports stats and stars, April 14
- Twins Reveal Makeup Dates For Snowed-Out Games
- Liverpool goalscorer Mane: Klopp demanded anger for Bournemouth win
- Apache Corporation (NYSE:APA) - P/E Ratio under Consideration
- Writing essay service how it is.
- AIR 1 Nishita Purohit Shares Preparation Strategies with NEET, AIIMS Aspirants