Winston has been the Bucs' starting quarterback since Tampa Bay selected him with the No. 1 pick in the 2015 NFL Draft.
According to Rick Stroud of the Tampa Bay Times, the Buccaneers have chose to pick up the fifth-year option on Winston's rookie contract. He has struggled with turnovers throughout his career, but he did cut down on them in 2017. It's also guaranteed for injury only, which means the Buccaneers can move on from Winston following the 2018 season without a cap hit should he remain healthy through February. Winston's 45 starts over three seasons represent the steadiest work of quarterback play the Bucs have seen in eons. He saw his performance drop off sharply against blitzes and pressure, and he failed to develop chemistry with DeSean Jackson, who was supposed to provide a new element of deep speed to the team's offense.
Winston has already released denying that he groped the female Uber driver in Scottsdale, Arizona in 2016. "My focus has been with this organization, getting the guys back in here and focusing what we can do to become a better team this offseason".
Under the NFL's collective-bargaining agreement, the four-year rookie contracts of first-round draft choices come with a fifth-year team option, which has to be exercised between each player's third and fourth seasons. This means the investigation will roll into the new league year and there's a possibility Winston could face suspension at some point during the season. Winston has maintained his innocence and former Florida State teammate and Philadelphia Eagles cornerback Ronald Darby said he was with the quarterback in the backseat of the auto and nothing occurred.
- JD Sports sprints higher as athleisure craze helps to drive record profits
- Stormy To Release Sketch Of Man Who Threatened Her Over Trump - Lawyer
- Shehbaz assures Nisar of addressing reservations
- Jets' Nick Mangold announces retirement after 11 seasons
- Google's new DIY AI kits could help shape the future
- Guggenheim Capital LLC Sells 1521 Shares of Westlake Chemical Co. (WLK)
- Mourinho poised to axe Man United stars
- Brokerages Issued Electronic Arts Inc. (EA) Target Price at $90.23
- Teekay Offshore Partners LP (TOO) Given Average Rating of "Hold" by Brokerages
- ExxonMobil (XOM) Stake Decreased by CENTRAL TRUST Co