In a post on Instagram, the British singer confirmed she had won the competition after being asked to take part past year, "performing alongside the biggest established singers / artists across Asia".
CHINA: Jessie J's iconic vocals have earned her another triumph and this time for her participation in a singing competition "Singer", more of an X factor equivalent show in China. "An honour alone. I know a lot of people were shocked when they found out", she said.
Jessie J's success in the competition will likely go some way in helping the "English is GREAT" campaign launched by the British Council during UK Prime Minister Theresa May's visit to China on 31 January this year. For them to see a western performer and hear music some had never heard before and visa versa.
To secure her victory, she sang some of her own songs like Flashlight and Domino, as well as cover songs, finishing the series with a powerful rendition of Whitney Houston's I Will Always Love You. Here is to me being the first but not the last worldwide artist to be on SINGER. Previous seasons have seen U.S. performers such as Ne-Yo and Akon perform as guests, but never as active participants.
As The Telegraph reports, Jessie J was the first-ever singer from outside Asia to be invited to compete in the popular singing competition, which attracts an astounding 250 million viewers.
Noting that "a billion people watched" her winning performance, she described the whole thing as "an fantastic learning experience..."
'Thank you China for giving me this moment'.
'I wanted to make the four year old me / Whitney / my Mum and Dad / my team and all my heartbeats around the world proud. I cried like a baby after the last note. "But what we all won was the beginning of something really magical", she said. I fought back tears / jetlag / my voice legit going to sleep before I could lol and sang as BEST I could. "I am so happy I got to play a part".
- Massapequa Man Arrested for Binghamton University Murder
- Choose Right Moment for Investing in: CF Industries Holdings, Inc. (NYSE:CF)
- TIAA CREF Investment Management LLC Acquires 106740 Shares of Haemonetics Co. (HAE)
- Enterprise Products Partners (EPD) Shareholder Center Coast Capital Advisors LP Decreased Stake
- JD Sports sprints higher as athleisure craze helps to drive record profits
- Domhnall Gleeson in Talks to Join 'The Kitchen'
- Brokerages Issued Electronic Arts Inc. (EA) Target Price at $90.23
- Kendrick Lamar wins Pulitzer Prize
- Rusev vs Undertaker Back on, Two More Matches Confirmed
- James Comey: 'Even in Private' Trump Won't Criticize Putin